VOGONS

First post, by guest_2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I currently have a Windows 98 SE machine which has a Soundblaster Live Ct4760. This is all working great but Soundblaster 16 emulation is rather poor (expected) Maybe for another topic, but Waveblaster is better where it can be selected.

DOS emulation is also working and see the SB16 emulation driver loads correctly in DOS and DOS game sound and music works.

This is in my Autoexec.bat in C:\

SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6
SET CTSYN=C:\WINDOWS
C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\SBLIVE\DOSDRV\SBEINIT.COM
@PATH C:\PROGRA~1\WIN98RK;%PATH%
SET SNDSCAPE=C:\WINDOWS

My question is, I have bought an ISA Soundblaster 16 CT2230. Do I need to remove the emulation driver first / change the autoexec lines or just connect the SB16 and it will overwrite the emulation driver?
Or do I need to install SB16 drivers before / unplug and fully remove the SB Live first?

Thanks

Reply 1 of 2, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you don't want to use the Live in dos anymore you can either remove the line C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\SBLIVE\DOSDRV\SBEINIT.COM
if you want to keep the option open just add REM in front so the command is ignored so it would look like
REM C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\SBLIVE\DOSDRV\SBEINIT.COM

Same story for SET SNDSCAPE=C:\WINDOWS delete or rem it out. (this gives you Ensoniq Soundscape compatibility, not that anyone ever uses it)

Set blaster will have to match what your ISA card is set at but what you have is Port=220, IRQ =5, Low DMA =1, High DMA=5, Midi port=330, T6=SB16
This is very common setting so you probably wont need to change unless it does conflict with something.
You can delete the SET SNDSCAPE=C:\WINDOWS

ISA cards are pretty basic you can run the setup program or simply copy the drivers over and manually configure autoexec.bat. No need to remove any cards or install in a specific order.

Reply 2 of 2, by guest_2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2021-03-03, 09:41:
If you don't want to use the Live in dos anymore you can either remove the line C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\SBLIVE\DOSDRV\SBEINIT.COM i […]
Show full quote

If you don't want to use the Live in dos anymore you can either remove the line C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\SBLIVE\DOSDRV\SBEINIT.COM
if you want to keep the option open just add REM in front so the command is ignored so it would look like
REM C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\SBLIVE\DOSDRV\SBEINIT.COM

Same story for SET SNDSCAPE=C:\WINDOWS delete or rem it out. (this gives you Ensoniq Soundscape compatibility, not that anyone ever uses it)

Set blaster will have to match what your ISA card is set at but what you have is Port=220, IRQ =5, Low DMA =1, High DMA=5, Midi port=330, T6=SB16
This is very common setting so you probably wont need to change unless it does conflict with something.
You can delete the SET SNDSCAPE=C:\WINDOWS

ISA cards are pretty basic you can run the setup program or simply copy the drivers over and manually configure autoexec.bat. No need to remove any cards or install in a specific order.

Thanks Chinny. All that sounds too easy and never how I remember it in the 90s 😁
I did have an Ensoniq AudioPCI card install before the SB Live! which is why the 'SET SNDSCAPE=C:\WINDOWS' exists. Think i'm going to rebuild Windows 98SE on new 120GB HDD then insatll the ISA cardwhen it arrives.