VOGONS

First post, by multiwirth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there,
I´m new here so here´s some short info about myself:
My name is Patrick, i´m 21 years old, based in germany and i´m interested in old and new computer hardware, android phones and development aswell as electronics and professional RC model cars /-airplanes.

Going back to my issue:
I bought an old Compaq Armada M700 to upgrade from a Armada 7770DMT which is rather slow even with it´s Pentium MMX 233Mhz it isn´t capable running "EarthWorm Jim 2" at full speed.
The new laptop comes with a Pentium III 500Mhz and the game runs at full speed but the issue starts here:

After setting up Windows 98SE, i started to download and test various different drivers just after finding it ´s hardware ID´s in Windows Xp since there was no support page for this model online.
It turned out to be a ESS 1978 Maestro 2E and i found various drivers for it.
After installing one, first i was quite happy as everything seemed to work just fine and even the game "Jill of the Jungle" detected the sound blaster compatibility and played audio just fine.
Mp3´s and audio CDs also played fine.
And then the most important thing came:
Running Earthworm Jim 1 and 2.
They´re DOS/Windows games and come with a setup utility for windows but then run in a command prompt in fullscreen.
Strange things happened then:
After launching the game, the CD gets ejected and the game asks for the CD, after closing the bay again the game launched BUT there is no ingame music only sound effects.
The CD has audio tracks that should play but nothing happens.
Also strange why the CD gets ejected when launching and closing the game...

Later it turned out it ´s somehow caused by the audio driver I used.
After installing Windows Me instead of 98SE it used WDM drivers for the soundcard which launched the game fine with music but no sound effects due to the missing "DOS/FM" driver module.
On my older Compaq it uses an older ESS card but also uses WDM drivers provided by microsoft AND still got a "Sound Blaster compatible (WDM) driver module and in fact play fine both ingame cd audio and effects but the performance of the laptop is poor.

Later i found another strange behavior:
When installing the drivers from windows 98 on ME and manually selecting them from device manager after the setup completed and rebooted (there was still the wdm driver in use), the sound blaster compatibility showed up again, didn´t ask for a reboot and the game launched just fine both with cd audio and sound effects.
AFTER a reboot though, the same strange and annoying issue happens again:
Launch game > eject CD > reinsert > finally launch the game > game plays with sound but no cd audio is played.

I tried many many different drivers in Windows 98SE and also tried the same with Windows Me but nothing was working for me.
So i´m unsure if there´s any fixed driver out there without this issue or if it might even actually be an issue with the game itself, i really don´t know.
I only know it plays the game´s audio tracks fine in Windows Media Player.

I really don´t know what else i can do to finally play those two games except going for the gog.com version played in dosbox... i want it to play on real hardware and with the correct aspect ratio of the screen.

If anyone has an idea, i´d love to hear!
Thank you so much!

Reply 1 of 2, by pc-sound-legacy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hallo Patrick, erstmal Grüße aus der Wesermarsch:-) I would suggest to try if another dos game with red book audio (cd music). (Quake 1 or Tomb Raider as anxexample if you can get a copy). If it works it might be an issue with the game. If not, I think it could be possible that the audio is digitally transmitted instead of analogue and the legacy driver module does not support that ( but this is just a guess). I have a Siemens Scenic laptop with PCI based ESS soundcard, I will see if it has a similar behavior. PCI sound devices in DOS are challenging sometimes. The Amanda 7770 has an ISA based audio controller pretty sure so this is better in case of compatibility. However, Windows 98SE is your system of choice if you play DOS games if not real DOS instead. I'm not familiar with Windows ME but as far as I remember it tries to hide it's DOS roots. WDM sound drivers often are missing the legacy module for dos compatibility so I prefere VXD drivers. The other things you mentioned were common back in the days, Windows 9x - yeeeha.. These were the days! (Stability came with NT4/2K)

Reply 2 of 2, by multiwirth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hallo 😀
Thank you for the reply.
You´re right about the digital cd playback > the driver doesn ´t support this.
In Windows settings the feature is greyed out actually so maybe those games don´t work with analog audio?
Sadly i do not have a copy of other such games and also no internet except mobile data plan of my phone and i guess you know how horrible this is in germany...
So getting such a game from an archive website is not an option atm.

However though, i found yet another wdm driver that seems to solve most issues.
I installed them in Windows Me and now i have only one playback device showing up but my game launches with both sound effects and CD Audio working.
The game Jill of the Jungle however runs now at 200% speed (guessed) with sound effects but no music (midi).
I guess because of the missing mpu401 playback device.
When launching doom for example, it also plays no music until i run the config and set the music playback to "general midi" then it´s using the installed software synthesizer from windows and plays music.

So yeah at least it plays now Earthworm Jim fine...