VOGONS

First post, by briefer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

I am trying to get my hand on a laptop that has an integrated sound blaster that works directly in DOS. I have been trying with a Thinkpad T43 I recently purchased with a SoundMAX audio interface, but it is only compatible using Windows 98, and that makes impossible to run games that use EMS memory (like Ultima Underworld)

I am checking old Toshibas (Tecra, Satellite Pro) and they mention in the specs "Sound blaster compatible" but never mention if using Windows or DOS.

For example, the Toshiba Satellite Pro 4200 specs are not clear:

Sound system :A Sound Blaster™ Pro™ and Windows Sound System (WSS) compatible sound system gives your computer multimedia capability. It incorporates a 64-channel Wave Table Synthesizer and hardware acceleration for advanced sound applications including 3D games, DVD movie playback and Internet communications. The sound system is equipped with stereo speakers, a volume control knob and jacks for microphone and headphone.

same for the Sattellite Pro 460CDX/CDT

SOUND SYSTEM (All models)
Chipsets: Yamaha OPL3-SA3
16 bit stereo audio playback/record Yes
Maximum Sampling Rate 48kHz
FM Synthesis support Yes
Full duplex function Yes
Sound formats supported: SoundBlaster Pro, .WAV, MIDI, 3D Sound Support

My question is, is there a list where I can check that information?

Thank you in advance

Reply 1 of 8, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My Toshiba Satellite Pro 4200 got a Yamaha YMF744B PCI audio controller, in the SETUPDS initialization utility I'm configured it to use PC/PCI as DMA mode and ISA as IRQ mode.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 8, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
briefer wrote on 2021-03-18, 09:09:

So it works in DOS with the creative drivers?

It's Sound Blaster Pro compatible under MS DOS after initialization.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel