VOGONS

First post, by multiwirth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there everyone!
I´ve just recently noticed something very strange on this vintage laptop:
When i tried to play a CD, it did it very strange with lots of distortion.
I checked the wmplayer settings and it´s set to use digital audio for cd playback.
Turning this off will sound normal but i think it worked in the past?
It´s running Windows 98 with the media player from Windows Me (i guess it´s 7.0 or something?) and Windows Xp professional in dual boot.
Both have the same issue.
Playing anything else is fine though (including mp3´s and such)
Does it really just NOT support digital cd audio or may i have a broken cd drive or something?

Here´s an example on how it sounds like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2kyO2f0xRM

Oh i´m running on WDM drivers that came with windows itself, never had any issues with it and even supports sound blaster compatibility for DOS games with bot game music and sound effects.

Thank you all and have a nice evening 😀

Reply 3 of 9, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have the Armada 7792DMT and I have been searching for the CD Drive for what seems like for ever.

Would you be kind enough to post some pictures of the CD Driver itself please?

Also, my speakers don't actually work on mine! Its something I need to fix. Sound does work through the audio jack though.

Reply 4 of 9, by multiwirth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2021-06-04, 21:33:

I've had a similar issue with a laptop optical drive in the past and a good cleaning took care of it.

Well since CD ROM reads fine and also cd playback is fine in "analog mode" i guess it doesn´t have issues reading the disk at all.
I also installed Earth Worm Jim 1 from cd and it played fine, also with cd audio ingame.
At least it still works somehow, just have to disable digital cd audio...

Reply 5 of 9, by multiwirth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Bancho wrote on 2021-06-05, 13:42:

I have the Armada 7792DMT and I have been searching for the CD Drive for what seems like for ever.

Would you be kind enough to post some pictures of the CD Driver itself please?

Also, my speakers don't actually work on mine! Its something I need to fix. Sound does work through the audio jack though.

Well the speakers are connected with the small ribbon cable on the right that goes to the actual sound card which is located at the spot with the power and volume buttons.
So you probably have a broken cable, had the same issue with some spare parts i got.
I wanted to replace the whole screen assembly before dissasembly it (my screen had a dead pixel) but it turned out, the speakers weren´t working.
So i swapped the tft panels itself aswell as the hinches.

And yes i have some pictures for you, good luck finding one 😉
It´s inside some kind of frame, you can probably put another drive inside if you got the frame or found a broken original drive with the frame attached.

Attachments

Reply 6 of 9, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
multiwirth wrote on 2021-06-05, 15:40:
Well since CD ROM reads fine and also cd playback is fine in "analog mode" i guess it doesn´t have issues reading the disk at al […]
Show full quote
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2021-06-04, 21:33:

I've had a similar issue with a laptop optical drive in the past and a good cleaning took care of it.

Well since CD ROM reads fine and also cd playback is fine in "analog mode" i guess it doesn´t have issues reading the disk at all.
I also installed Earth Worm Jim 1 from cd and it played fine, also with cd audio ingame.
At least it still works somehow, just have to disable digital cd audio...

That was the issue I was having just digital audio issues. Installing programs and reading disks we're fine I just gave the lens a good cleaning and everything was normal again.

Reply 7 of 9, by multiwirth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2021-06-05, 19:30:

That was the issue I was having just digital audio issues. Installing programs and reading disks we're fine I just gave the lens a good cleaning and everything was normal again.

Well what did you use to clean the lens?
I used a cotton swap, got it wet and used a bit of dish soap to clean it.
After that, i used the other side to dry the lens.
Sadly without success

Reply 9 of 9, by multiwirth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2021-06-05, 23:31:

I used a camera lens cloth and lens cleaner. I do hope your able to salvage your drive

well it´s still fully functional except playback of cd audio in digital mode (there´s no difference in sound playing it analog anyways) but idk maybe the processing IC for this feature has gone bad?

btw does anyone know what the latest audio softpaq would be (for audio)?