VOGONS

First post, by asp_id

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

I need some advice from MIDI and Emu8k and m68k and any other gurus who are capable. Please.

Recently I get an obscure (at least for us with DuckDuckGo and Google) Korean MIDI module — Samick City Sound, made by Samick Musical Instruments Co., Ltd. Samick is best known for their guitars and pianos.

It is based on Emu8000. And it lacks one chip. Also it is very similar to WaveBlaster, and according to that the missing chip should be MC68EC000. I have a spare MC68EC000 chip from the dead Wave Blaster. (Emu8k get some severe static charge gone through it, and passed away, but its neighbor, M68k, is proven to be alive and kicking)

Now, I want to try my luck and insert M68k chip in this Samick module. But also I want to do it the smart way and not to blow the whole thing to oblivion.

So, should I just put the m68k chip IN and power the device ON? And hope for the best…
Or there any caveats? I have experience in repairing stuff, but I have no experience in Emu8k's and there is no datasheets on them 😉
Or should I NOT do this under any circumstances?

Halp! Please! Any advices comments and/or requests are very welcome.

Here's some pictures of it

Front.jpg
Filename
Front.jpg
File size
287.25 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Back.jpg
Filename
Back.jpg
File size
279.8 KiB
Views
File license
Guts.jpg
Filename
Guts.jpg
File size
555.66 KiB
Views
File license

And a picture of the Wave Blaster from the net. The aforementioned chip sits just above Emu8k:

waveblaster.jpg
Filename
waveblaster.jpg
File size
231.88 KiB
Views
File license

You can't stop progress.

Reply 1 of 7, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I bet someone harvested the 68k chip out of that module. I would also put block tape or stickers over the windows on those EPROM chips.

Edit:
I decided to take apart my E-MU SoundEngine Music Module since it is practically a WaveBlaster as well. It actually uses the standard 26-pin connection that WaveBlaster compatible cards use. I wonder if this thing would work on a sound card and if I could use a different card in this enclosure.

Front.jpg
Filename
Front.jpg
File size
225.43 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
Insides.jpg
Filename
Insides.jpg
File size
733.1 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Yours actually looks like a WaveBlaster II.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 7, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The pinout should be determined first, or very least VCC and GND pins. There could be 68000 or there could be 68EC000 and they have slightly different pinouts and there is a very real change of damage if wrong one is used.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 3 of 7, by asp_id

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, so I checked out the pinouts, thank you very much Tiido for pointing on that! It should be MC68EC000 chip. So I snapped one in, and powered up the unit. And it works!
Although there were no sound on the left channel. But I realized that the JRC4558 op amp was the cause. Ordered one.
I'll record some samples, as soon as I get this unit fully operational!

You can't stop progress.

Reply 4 of 7, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Very nice ~

Do you intend to revive that dead Waveblaster ?

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 5 of 7, by grommit2007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This seems quite interesting, as it is basically an AWE32 on an external MIDI module, and the PCB looks like it could be reproduced by someone with the right equipment and resources to do so. The only thing that would be missing is the SoundFont capabilities seen on internal (and some PCMCIA) E-mu sound cards.

That being said, does it respond to MIDI NRPN messages used by the EMU8000 and later (10K1, 10K2, 20K1, 20K2) sound devices?

Reply 6 of 7, by asp_id

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry for the long silence…
Finally I made this module fully functional! In the end it was not only a bad opamp, one of the RAM chips, KM681000BLP, was also faulty.
I recorded some audio samples, see the attachements. The module itself is very noisy output (curse 4558 amps) — you could hear humming at the begining of some tracks.

Tiido wrote on 2021-06-27, 20:43:

May be in some distant future =)

grommit2007 wrote on 2021-07-29, 18:48:

This seems quite interesting, as it is basically an AWE32 on an external MIDI module, and the PCB looks like it could be reproduced by someone with the right equipment and resources to do so. The only thing that would be missing is the SoundFont capabilities seen on internal (and some PCMCIA) E-mu sound cards.

That being said, does it respond to MIDI NRPN messages used by the EMU8000 and later (10K1, 10K2, 20K1, 20K2) sound devices?

Indeed, the PCB is not very hard to replicate, it's double sided, and all the components are on one side. I assume the sounds are stored in SME9516000-01…04 chips, they seem to be regular EEPROM chips, I can solder them out and try to dump them. But there is another trouble — two GAL chips, labeled as IC8 “Loggic” and IC9 “Counter”.

Could you please explain, how to check if it espond to MIDI NRPN messages? I tried to send CC098 and CC099 via the PocketMIDI program. The “MIDI In” LED on the module is blinking. But I do not know what exactly should happen =)

Attachments

You can't stop progress.

Reply 7 of 7, by grommit2007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
asp_id wrote on 2021-12-06, 02:05:
Sorry for the long silence… Finally I made this module fully functional! In the end it was not only a bad opamp, one of the RAM […]
Show full quote

Sorry for the long silence…
Finally I made this module fully functional! In the end it was not only a bad opamp, one of the RAM chips, KM681000BLP, was also faulty.
I recorded some audio samples, see the attachements. The module itself is very noisy output (curse 4558 amps) — you could hear humming at the begining of some tracks.

Tiido wrote on 2021-06-27, 20:43:

May be in some distant future =)

grommit2007 wrote on 2021-07-29, 18:48:

Indeed, the PCB is not very hard to replicate, it's double sided, and all the components are on one side. I assume the sounds are stored in SME9516000-01…04 chips, they seem to be regular EEPROM chips, I can solder them out and try to dump them. But there is another trouble — two GAL chips, labeled as IC8 “Loggic” and IC9 “Counter”.

Could you please explain, how to check if it espond to MIDI NRPN messages? I tried to send CC098 and CC099 via the PocketMIDI program. The “MIDI In” LED on the module is blinking. But I do not know what exactly should happen =)

Apologies for the delay as well.

There are MIDI files which can be used to check for the NRPN functions, which work on AWE32 and successors based on the same EMU8K/10K1/2/20K1/2 architecture.

I have attached a MIDI which can be used to test for it.

There should be a squelch sound (which is caused by the NRPNs manipulating the filter) upon playing this MIDI.

Attachments

• Filename
    The Nervous Filter.zip
    File size
    2.68 KiB
    Downloads
    1 download
    File comment
    The Nervous Filter
    File license