VOGONS

First post, by grommit2007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Do non-PnP cards with this chip initialize correctly without loading DIAGNOSE /S and only the BLASTER variable? I haven't been able to find out if these cards actually need the DIAGNOSE command and can be instead initialized on a driverless cold boot with only the BLASTER variable.

Reply 1 of 10, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

if you have only a jumper for IO port 220 240 260 and so on. But no IRQ and HDMA and LDMA jumper blocks. Then you need to run DIAGNOSE /S but if you have all those jumper blocks then there is no need for DIAGNOSE /S.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 2 of 10, by grommit2007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Cyberdyne wrote on 2021-08-05, 11:27:

if you have only a jumper for IO port 220 240 260 and so on. But no IRQ and HDMA and LDMA jumper blocks. Then you need to run DIAGNOSE /S but if you have all those jumper blocks then there is no need for DIAGNOSE /S.

I am aware that cards with jumper blocks (like cards with the CT1746, CT2501, and some CT2504) for the IO port, IRQs and DMAs do not need DIAGNOSE /S and only need the BLASTER variable set to the values of the jumpers.

What I have been trying to find out is the behaviour of applications on the CT1747 semi-PnP cards without DIAGNOSE /S being run to set the IRQ and DMAs with the BLASTER variable's parameters. Do apps behave strangely and can't find the card, hang, produce strange noise, play only FM music or does the card default to IRQ 5 and DMAs 1 and 5 on a cold boot? IIRC non-PnP Aztech Sound Galaxy cards default to 220/5/1/330/530 once the EEPROM jumper is set and no drivers are loaded (I have seen only one CT1747 card so far equipped with an EEPROM, the CT2760 rev. 3 AWE32, it doesn't appear to be present on the CT3900 AWE32 and other semi-PnP SB16 and AWE32 cards, and I also found out that that EEPROM was problematic and it was removed on the next AWE32 revision).

Reply 3 of 10, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Afaik the CT1747 equipped cards do not signal on *any* IRQ/DMA channels until configured by DIAGNOSE, essentially disabling them, OPL notwithstanding

Reply 4 of 10, by grommit2007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
maxtherabbit wrote on 2021-08-05, 15:26:

Afaik the CT1747 equipped cards do not signal on *any* IRQ/DMA channels until configured by DIAGNOSE, essentially disabling them, OPL notwithstanding

I suspected this is most likely the case, so the IRQs and DMAs are disabled until DIAGNOSE/SBCONFIG is run, but does OPL still work? (on AWE32 cards it may not be audible until AWEUTIL /S is run to initialize the EMU8000, whose DAC the CT1747 uses).

Reply 6 of 10, by grommit2007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Matth79 wrote on 2021-08-05, 18:27:

Unisound would be an alternative

Unisound can be used (though I haven't tested it yet, although this app appears to be mostly for users of ISA PnP cards on XT-class machines).

The main purpose of this thread is to determine how the semi-PnP resource configuration works on these cards (so it can be added to emulators). Jumpered card configurations and ISA PnP card configurations are in emulators, but the semi-PnP resource configuration isn't in any emulator of IBM PCs that I know of at the time of writing. Unlike other non-PnP ISA sound cards, which use an EEPROM to hold config data, these devices from what I'm hearing, appear to be uninitialized upon a cold boot until the drivers (either DOS drivers or Win3x/9x drivers) are loaded to set the IRQ and DMAs, so adding it to an emulator may be straightforward.

Reply 7 of 10, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You get a glorified ADLIB 😁

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 10 of 10, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
grommit2007 wrote on 2021-08-08, 18:05:
maxtherabbit wrote on 2021-08-08, 14:09:

Yes opl still works

That is an interesting finding. What CT1747-based card do you have?

CT2230 and CT2770