VOGONS

First post, by arianon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently upgraded a 486 dx/2 66 with a Overdrive 486 dx4 100, however, after installing it I started having issues with an Audician card. The specific issue seems to be with the wavetable header (Dreamblaster x2). When I open a game it is now non functional, or doesn't correctly play the instruments. There also seems to be issues with initialization sometimes on boot of the digital sound element too with Soundblaster playback not sounding correct, or not even playing sounds in some cases.

Has anyone heard of this type of issue before? Any insight would be helpful!

Last edited by arianon on 2021-08-11, 19:33. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 6, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

First thing I'd think of to do is re-run the software install in case it ran a speed calibration and saved a value somewhere. .. ... well that's after being 200% sure I didn't knock anything when I was inside the case.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 6, by arianon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I removed the installed files and installed the sound card drivers (as well as scrubbing autoexec.bat / config.sys) but am still having the same issue. I tested the Dreamblaster on another machine and it is working just fine. I'm worndering if it could be an issue with interrupts, but would installing an Overdrive change anything with DMA/interrupts?

Reply 3 of 6, by arianon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After some additional troubleshooting I've narrowed the issue down to the Wavetable header/Dreamblaster. Without anything connected to it and all games using Soundblaster for midi playback there aren't any issues, but when I connect the Dreamblaster and change the MIDI settings to General Midi the instrumentation is off. I've tested the Dreamblaster playing midi when connected via USB and it plays just fine, this also worked just fine before installing the Overdrive processor. Has anyone heard of an issue like this?

Reply 4 of 6, by arianon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just posting this in case it helps anyone else, after messing with IRQs and interrupts for some time (the recommendation after getting a WSS Initialization error in the readme), I went back to the drivers again and gave the Unisound driver a shot. With Unisound I had no more initialization errors and midi is working great, both with the cache disabled in Sierra games and in games like Daggerfall and Mechwarrior 2.

Reply 5 of 6, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You shouldn't have to have cache disabled, especially in MechWarrior 2. I played that with a much faster CPU back in the day.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK