VOGONS

First post, by aitotat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have two different revisions of the Audician / LWHA151A00 A151-A00 cards. Here are some pictures.

Older revision has YMF718-S and the later YMF719E-S but I'm not talking about those. The YMF719 revision doesn't have L1 and L3 but the earlier revision does. Also the YMF719 revision doesn't have C56 and C53 while the YMF718 does. The YMF719 revision has C58 and C59 but those are missing from YMF718 revision. Then there are two components that the YMF719 has but the YMF718 does not have at all (no pads). I marked all the differences in one of the pictures.

I'm going to do the lowpass fix and wavetable reverse fix to both of the cards (already did the latter to YMF719 as seen in one of the pictures). Since I need to get capacitors for the lowpass fix I was thinking if it does any good to solder the "missing" components as well. It will be easy while doing the other fixes. But what capacitor and inductors should I use for the missing components?

I also have another question. The lower CD-Audio connector near the joystick port is actually connected to mic in so it is not a CD-in at all. Is it meant for PC-speaker? I can't think anything other use for it.

Reply 1 of 4, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

* L1 is sitting on analog ground and shouldn't be there, it will make sound performance worse due to ground bounce related problems aswell as not letting any HF noise return. It is best shorted out as on the later card.
* L2 is WB 5V power filter inductor, it makes WB card power slightly less noisy and prevents noise coming back to the host card to an extent.
* L3 is gameport power filter inductor, is there primarly for EMI reasons.
* C56 and 53 don't make any difference to operation, they should be EMI filters for MIDI I/O signals on gameport. They should be 1000pF at most.
* I'm not sure what CA1 is, I'm not at home to look at my cards to see exactly what it is.
* RA1 is part of the reset handling circuit on one of the cards.

For the lowpass fix you need to get a handful of capacitors and find one that suits you best (or use whatever the guide suggests). 1000pF, 1500pF, 2200pF, 3300pF, 4700pF, 5600pF NP0/C0G ceramics in 0805 size are things to get.

The connector near microphone is carrying microphone aswell as YMF71x mono in signal IIRC. It could be used with PC-speaker but it requires a special cable or modification to the card as it is still providing a regular line input and not something that can take PC speaker 5Vpp signal.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 4, by aitotat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Great! I can take L1 from the other card and place it on L3 to the other. Both cards get better and no extra components needed.

I'll order different capacitors for the lowpass mod just in case then.

So the connector near mic input contains two mono inputs? I suppose it is not possible to configure them as another stereo line in, other to the left and other to the right only?

Reply 3 of 4, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just be sure to take care of the link in the inductor path in part footprint center location, cut on one that gets the inductor, bridge on other card that gives it up.

Stereo input is not possible on that connector, you only get two mono signals there that you cannot pan.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 4 of 4, by aitotat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I finally did the fixes. I removed the L1 from the other card and it was already shorted under the inductor. I moved that inductor to L3 on the other card (and cut the trace before soldering it). I did the wavetable reverse stereo fixes and changed the lowpass capacitors to 6.8nF SMD capacitors as suggested by the guide. Then I added the missing C53 and C56 to the other card. I used 1 nF SMD capacitors for that. Last I recapped both cards since this was a good time to do so while doing the other mods.

Now the cards look like this. I tested both cards with jumpers set to line out and speaker out and with gamepad. I also tested X2GS with both cards and everything works (but CT11 and CT5 capacitors are now so tall that they touch the X2GS PCB). These cards are now better than new and really good cards. But not perfect, nothing is.