VOGONS

First post, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been playing around with the sound setup in my P3-S machine (the original SB Live! in the system worked fine, no issues; I just tried using a Aureal Vortex 2 SuperQuad, gave me a lot of issues), and now my attention is turned to the SB Audigy (I still want some DOS game support for this system). The only thing that concerns me is that, according to philscomputerlab, the driver disc used to install Creative software for the card will update your DX version to 8. Now, for compatibility reasons, I want to stay on DX7.0a (there's some anecdotal evidence to point to that later DX versions complicate matters with earlier 9x games). I'm thinking I can just remove the dxsetup files from the CD, and have it error-out when it gets to that part, but is that a good idea?

Does the SB Audigy's drivers and accompanying software need DX8, or did Creative just include that for the heck of it?

Last edited by ultra_code on 2021-08-20, 21:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 1 of 5, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In my experience installing newer DX runtimes normally should not affect the older DX runtimes since each version of DX since 7 has separate DLLs. Most people get confused around this since there are even software using DX8 that works with hardware that doesn't support the newer features introduced with DX8. There may be corner cases there but in practice this is should not be an issue.

As for the drivers why it needs it I can't tell since I don't have this card. Maybe there is some game demo or software within the CD there that requires the DX8 runtime?

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 2 of 5, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gmlb256 wrote on 2021-08-20, 20:49:

In my experience installing newer DX runtimes normally should not affect the older DX runtimes since each version of DX since 7 has separate DLLs. Most people get confused around this since there are even software using DX8 that works with hardware that doesn't support the newer features introduced with DX8. There may be corner cases there but in practice this is should not be an issue.

I guess, but I'm still on-the-edge. There are people here on VOGONS that complain about issues with DX8 and 9, others say they have had no issues whatsoever, and those differences in experiences get me worried. I guess installing DX7.0a and then DX8.1 would solve any potential issues, because any files that DX8.1 would not normally install would already be there? IDK. Guess I can try it, and if any games give me issues, I can always reinstall (the 98SE install on the machine has been through a lot); I'd rather not though.

Gmlb256 wrote on 2021-08-20, 20:49:

As for the drivers why it needs it I can't tell since I don't have this card. Maybe there is some game demo or software within the CD there that requires the DX8 runtime?

I plan on using the driver disc from PCL's website. It does seem there's one demo - the Goldmine demo.

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 3 of 5, by zyga64

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
the_ultra_code wrote on 2021-08-20, 21:06:

Guess I can try it, and if any games give me issues, I can always reinstall (the 98SE install on the machine has been through a lot); I'd rather not though.

You can use program like DirectX Eradicator to completely remove DirectX from computer and install earlier version.
https://www.raymond.cc/blog/how-to-uninstall- … pair-directx/2/

1) VLSI SCAMP /286@20 /4M /CL-GD5422 /CMI8330
2) i420EX /486DX33 /16M /TGUI9440 /GUS+ALS100+MT32PI
3) i430FX /K6-2@400 /64M /Rage Pro PCI /ES1370+YMF718
4) i440BX /P!!!750 /256M /MX440 /SBLive!
5) iB75 /3470s /4G /HD7750 /HDA

Reply 4 of 5, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
zyga64 wrote on 2021-08-20, 21:32:

You can use program like DirectX Eradicator to completely remove DirectX from computer and install earlier version.
https://www.raymond.cc/blog/how-to-uninstall- … pair-directx/2/

Neat, although... not ideal.

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 5 of 5, by pixel_workbench

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Before installing DX8, make a backup copy of your Windows folder. Then you can go back if it causes problems.

My Videos | Website
P2 400 unlocked / Asus P3B-F / Voodoo3 3k / MX300 + YMF718