VOGONS

First post, by Pickle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I picked up this card second hand. Cleaned it up with soap and water, dried it out. Tested it on a P200 MMX system and no issue. I also had another card an with an Avance + Yamaha OPL3. I dont care at all for the Opti chip OPL, but i was curious about the Qdsp. Also seeing that both cards worked with Unisound I thought I could use the Opti for midi and the Avance for SB16 and OPL. Seeing a thread here with others doing the same thing with 2 cards gave me hope.
At first I had some conflict with the parallel port (disabled it), but after some tweaking i had both cards setup with different resources.

I had the opti card outputting into the line in of the Avance card. I had the midi working with this setup once. I was just trying to see if I could have alternate adlib ports and then both cards were not being detected by unisound.
The Avance is working fine alone (but odd both cards were not seen when the opti was present)
Ive tried the opti in multiple machines with the same result.

I was hoping I just had a bad capacitor, so ive recapped the all the ones near the ISA connector. Ive also replaced a couple around the sound output since the caps tops looked odd. But I assume the rest will only effect sound output.
Ive tried using the multi-meter to find a short or a bad part. I measured the transistor like package (its a regulator). Im getting 12 V on both sides so I think it be ok.

The worst case situation is that something in the opti chip itself died. I do have another opti card with the same chip so theoretically I could transplant it. Although i only have a heat gun (not a temp controlled station). I think i could use that to get the chips off. Then i could use my soldering iron to reattach the new one. But this seems like a desperate last resort.

But im hoping to do some more voltage checks on the board first. Im also asking for help from anyone with ideas what could be wrong and some guidance where else to check.
Thanks!

Front:
https://imgur.com/3r12keD

Back:
https://imgur.com/C2Sh3CI

Reply 1 of 4, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The transistor like part should be a 78L05 (is it ?) which is a voltage regulator, and if there's 12V on both sides the main OPTi chip is dead and possibly other things too... It is supposed to make +5V for analog parts of the card and 12V will certainly kill the main chip though opamps etc. are likely to survive as most take up to 30V before dying.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 4, by Pickle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

its a LM78L and pin 3 is tied directly to the 12 V, so i think its ok. The chip appears to just regulate to 100 ma.
I was just measuring voltage and the 5 V looks ok. I checked on the pdip chip which is 93LC46 eeprom chip.
I was checking the -12 V line and that isnt giving a good reading. So ive been trying to trace that around.

Edit:
I think the -12 V might be ok, i get -12 near the edge connector. It does end up at the HEF4052BT and i mearured right was around -10 V.
I also found the Vcc and Gnd test points and that shows 5V.

Reply 3 of 4, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If 5V comes out one of its pins then that part is fine and plot thickens.

I'm actually not completely sure what is the problem...

When card is alone in the system, is it being detected properly and set up or always fails ? Chances are the EEPROM got corrupt (happens occasionally on AWE64 cards). If it is set up, using Duke3D setup, will it detect MPU401, Adlib and will it be able to do SFX ? That setup can be quite useful in determining problems.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 4 of 4, by Pickle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

so short answer is that it was the eeprom. The card is working again and unisound detects it. Now it took me a bit of a process to get there.

Today i unsoldered the eeprom chip and checked it in the reader i have and it had bogus data. BB's and FF's. But i could write anything to the chip so I knew it worked.
Along with duke3d Id thought id try to opti931 driver package also. The driver package is the one from vogons. I just ran the setup within win95 and that gave me the dos utilities.
I found i could run the sndinit /b or sometime just sndinit and the card would configure and everything worked, but not across power cycles (eeprom in question at this point)
There was another program called sndtune.exe and this was the key one. It did something and then rebooted the machine. It came back up and unisound saw the card again. Dumped the eeprom and it had real data.

So the question i have in my mind now is if unisound caused a corruption or if i was something else i did. One suspicion i recall is there was a jumper and at one point i did try to use it (it disables the PNP function based on the spec). But it didnt work (i would need the sndinit) so i removed it. It was working after that point.
I will do some more testing and see if anything i did with unisound causes again, but i really glad i found a way out of the hole.