VOGONS

First post, by morgul12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I recently received a Creative Phone Blaster, model CT3110.. and when cleaning it of dust, a ceramic capacitor fell off the back of card. Attached is a pic of that capacitor.

When searching online for pics of the CT3110, to determine the solder points for this capacitor, I discovered that there are supposed to be TWO small ceramic capacitors on the back of the card.

So.. my Phone Blaster is currently missing 2 capacitors. I can solder this one back in place, and if I could find the capacitance of the other, I can order a replacement and solder it on.. the only problem is in discovering WHAT is the capacitance of the missing capacitor. I don't know if the missing piece has the same capacitance value as the one that fell off or if it is a different value; they're supposed to be soldered very near to other, but that's all I know. To compound the problem, the capacitor that fell off the card has a big scratch on it, right over the number printed on the capacitor. See the attached pic. So even for the one that I DO have, I can't be certain of its capacitance value. I don't have a meter that can check capacitance. The last digit is a '7', but I don't know about the previous digits.

Does anyone happen to have a CT3110 and can check their card to let me know the info about these 2 capacitors?

Attached is a pic of the back of my CT3110, for reference (prior to the capacitor falling off).

Also attached is a pic of an identical CT3110 that I pulled from yjfy.com, which shows the placement of 2 ceramic capacitors on the back of the card.

Thank you for any help you can provide with this.

Attachments

• ct3110-2.jpg
    Filename
    ct3110-2.jpg
    File size
    479.96 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • c.jpg
    Filename
    c.jpg
    File size
    247.27 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • phone blaster loose capacitor.jpg
    Filename
    phone blaster loose capacitor.jpg
    File size
    305.09 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 4, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It is a 47pF capacitor, probably a C0G / NP0 type. Function of such small capacitors in that spot seem to be timing fixes for increased stability (slightly delaying a signal or filtering out some glitches etc.). The card probably works without them but may have random problems.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 3 of 4, by doubeleive

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

for future reference if you look on the opposing side of that card the capacitor(s) are pinned to jumpers cs0/cs1 and the screen printing to the right indicates, jumper xx/xx closed or open assigns the modem com port (1~4). that appears to be it's sole function, so unless you are into archaic internet speeds it should not create any sound card issue. I suppose it's possible it could cause a com port conflict if it is defaulting to a comport setting that is being used by the mainboard, controller card, etc.

Reply 4 of 4, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Also keep in mind Creative introduced changes and hotfixes within revisions. If you do not find evidence of a part having been removed it is entirely possible that it hasn't ever been there even if a card of the same revision does have the part.