VOGONS

First post, by Thorad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was messing around with some programs and 9x and it was not playing nice, so I opted to upgrade to ME. The program I was messing with played a bit nicer but still didn't work. Why am I still running ME? Well, to my amazement, it runs a HELL of a lot better than 98. It boots about four times as quick, everything is snappier, and after some trouble I even got my ISA sound card working by manually installing drivers(Videocard worked out of the box with 95 drivers interestingly enough, but its luckily an AGP card). I also got dos support back via some patches. Only one issue. Soundblaster sound works, midi works, WDM works, BUT SB sound effects DO NOT work. I would assume this is an issue with win95 drivers and winME not playing nice, which from what I've heard is a common issue. My soundcard is the Aztech Sound Galaxy 16E for reference. Anyone have any ideas on how to get sound effects to work? I may go back to 98 out of laziness but ME is just SO much faster.

Reply 1 of 10, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The only reason why I don't run Windows ME is because the DOS mode is inferior compared to the previous iterations of Windows 9x (the DOS mode patch is a hack from the Windows ME boot disk, cannot use multi-config, unable to unload the XMS driver, etc.). Much of the improvement around booting was to due to IO.SYS being compressed, disregarding CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT without the "patch", and HIMEM.SYS being integrated.

For the sound card you must use a VXD driver for SB compatibility, installing a driver from an older Windows version should work.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 2 of 10, by Thorad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gmlb256 wrote on 2021-09-05, 18:21:

The only reason why I don't run Windows ME is because the DOS mode is inferior compared to the previous iterations of Windows 9x (the DOS mode patch is a hack from the Windows ME boot disk, cannot use multi-config, unable to unload the XMS driver, etc.). Much of the improvement around booting was to due to IO.SYS being compressed, disregarding CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT without the "patch", and HIMEM.SYS being integrated.

For the sound card you must use a VXD driver for SB compatibility, installing a driver from an older Windows version should work.

Would a VXD driver be included in the Aztech driver or is that something else? I'm fairly new to playing around with drivers, have mainly just messed with hardware.

Reply 3 of 10, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Thorad wrote on 2021-09-05, 18:40:

Would a VXD driver be included in the Aztech driver or is that something else? I'm fairly new to playing around with drivers, have mainly just messed with hardware.

At least on Windows 95 and 98 it is included by default.

On VOGONS driver library there's a list of drivers related to Aztech sound cards. You could also try to find a Windows 95 driver for the sound card if anything there doesn't work.

Your sound card sounds more like a Sound Galaxy Pro 16 Extra.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 4 of 10, by Thorad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gmlb256 wrote on 2021-09-05, 18:59:
At least on Windows 95 and 98 it is included by default. […]
Show full quote
Thorad wrote on 2021-09-05, 18:40:

At least on Windows 95 and 98 it is included by default.

On VOGONS driver library there's a list of drivers related to Aztech sound cards. You could also try to find a Windows 95 driver for the sound card if anything there doesn't work.

Your sound card sounds more like a Sound Galaxy Pro 16 Extra.

I should have clarified. I am running the win95 driver for this card, that is the driver I manually installed, and it is from the archive you linked. Soundblaster music works, the sound effects do not. Also the card ID is i38-msn811. So, nova 16 extra. Slight identification mishap.

Reply 5 of 10, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Thorad wrote on 2021-09-05, 19:01:

I should have clarified. I am running the win95 driver for this card, that is the driver I manually installed, and it is from the archive you linked. Soundblaster music works, the sound effects do not. Also the card ID is i38-msn811. So, nova 16 extra. Slight identification mishap.

Did you check how the BLASTER environment and the resources on Device Manager was set on Windows?

You can allow the sound card to be configured manually by software if you disable the "EEPROM setting" thru jumpers except the address which should be 220H by default.

Reply 6 of 10, by Thorad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gmlb256 wrote on 2021-09-05, 19:04:
Thorad wrote on 2021-09-05, 19:01:

Did you check how the BLASTER environment and the resources on Device Manager was set on Windows?

You can allow the sound card to be configured manually by software if you disable the "EEPROM setting" thru jumpers except the address which should be 220H by default.

I'm pretty sure that's already set as I've messed with IRQs through software before. The address is 220 for music, and works at that address. That's the same address used by games for sound effects as well, yet it still does not work.

Reply 7 of 10, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Thorad wrote on 2021-09-05, 19:12:

I'm pretty sure that's already set as I've messed with IRQs through software before. The address is 220 for music, and works at that address. That's the same address used by games for sound effects as well, yet it still does not work.

Make sure that the IRQ is 7 or 5 and DMA is set to 1. Note that there may be two low DMA settings on Device Manager which isn't a bit clear but one is for SB and the other one is for WSS (for Windows).

Reply 8 of 10, by Thorad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gmlb256 wrote on 2021-09-05, 19:15:
Thorad wrote on 2021-09-05, 19:12:

Make sure that the IRQ is 7 or 5 and DMA is set to 1. Note that there may be two low DMA settings on Device Manager which isn't a bit clear but one is for SB and the other one is for WSS (for Windows).

Doubled checked it. IRQs are 10 and 5. Set in game, and it still doesn't work. I'll likely blame this one on winME dos compatibility and switch to 98 again.

Reply 9 of 10, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Thorad wrote on 2021-09-05, 19:17:

Doubled checked it. IRQs are 10 and 5. Set in game, and it still doesn't work. I'll likely blame this one on winME dos compatibility and switch to 98 again.

Prior switching back to Windows 98. Did you swap the IRQs? Did you also test this on DOS mode?

IRQ 10 and higher isn't very compatible with DOS games.

Reply 10 of 10, by Thorad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gmlb256 wrote on 2021-09-05, 19:19:
Thorad wrote on 2021-09-05, 19:17:

Prior switching back to Windows 98. Did you swap the IRQs? Did you also test this on DOS mode?

IRQ 10 and higher isn't very compatible with DOS games.

It was around the same before. I could swap it around and try to get it to work, but like you said 98 has the better dos compatibility mode and I'm a bit lazy to troubleshoot it. Next time I'll try switching the 10 to the 7 if I get fed up with 98 again 😀