VOGONS

First post, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In short: I had problems, I know why, but I thought I'd raise it here to see if anyone else had experiences to share.

MPU-IPC.jpg
Filename
MPU-IPC.jpg
File size
263.97 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

The MPU-IPC is one of the earliest variants of the MPU-401, released for XT & AT systems. Issues with faster systems are known. I managed to score the two pieces separately this year. Initially I did some limited testing in my Pentium 200 system and it seemed to perform without issue. (IIRC, I tested it with Space Quest 3 & Prince of Persia, on an MT-32 of course).

This weekend I dropped it into its actual target system, my 386DX/40. The test games were different this time, which I know is not great science. Monkey Island performed perfectly, but Dune had some incorrect instruments. I tried de-turboing to 20mhz, a bit of cable swapping, ensuring all gear was cold booted etc.

There's probably no solution to this (except the one where I dropped a PC-MIDI card in instead, which works perfectly of course). But I was just curious. Has anyone else run older Roland MPUs in machines too new for them? What successes and failures did you have?

Reply 1 of 2, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Those are pretty rare now 😀 What's the ISA bus divider on the 386DX/40?

On the Pentium system, the ISA is a bridged legacy bus from what I recall, so maybe the ISA bus's clock speed is set more for compatibility than performance.
Perhaps the MPU-IMC is very sensitive to anything out of spec on the ISA bus, or maybe a recovery time / wait state could help.