VOGONS

First post, by georgel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Looking for the "Sound Blaster Series Hardware Programming Guide" that includes AWE cards too...Has this ever been released by Creative since the widespread manual contains info up to SB16. There is a separate document that describes the EMU part but that does not include some MPU, IRQ and NMI info (configuration registers) I am curious about.

Reply 1 of 7, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a book that covers the AWE32. I'll get the ISBN and post it once I am back home.

It isn't by Creative so not sure if it includes the hardware stuff you are interested in but I will check.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 7, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is "AWE32/EMU8000 Programmer’s Guide", google for emu8kpgm.pdf

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 4 of 7, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Then there is no further info, none of the MPU401 emulation info is ever disclosed. You can try to catch all the IO writes and log them, either from software or hardware and perhaps something sticks out. On early SB16 the IRQ and DMA selections are done in mixer registers, as seen here : http://www.earth.li/~tfm/oldpage/sb_mixer.html
It is probable the MPU emulation registers are placed into mixer space too.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 5 of 7, by crvs

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was digging for the same in a while, guess the following links may be of use to you:
Creative Sound Blaster AWE32 Developer Information Package
AWE32/EMU8000 Programmer’s Guide
The example of direct EMU8000 control (c) Grinus/ToM
The Un-official Sound Blaster AWE32 Programming Guide by Vince Vu a.k.a. Judge Dredd
X-BRAiN SB AWE Programming
It could also make sense to look at the available source code with EMU support (old sound libraries, players, games, linux kernel etc.)

Reply 6 of 7, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's the stuff that I partly told georgel about low level programming involving EMU8K. The "AWE32 Developer Information in PDF format" that is on the first link has high level functions related to MIDI emulation, but none of the links mentions anything related to NMI or MPU-401.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 7 of 7, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I checked the book I have and it is titled
AWE32: The Musician's Guide.
It has nothing at all about the hardware.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK