VOGONS

First post, by mezgho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi! hopefully you can help me with this problem. I´m trying to install this ISA sound card in a 286 and a 486 pc but when I execute the SETUPSA.exe file (under msdos) this message appears
"sb reset error sb reset error opl3 sax board not present". At first I thought the sound card was broken or something but when I connect a joystick the green light pops on (from the joystick...of course when I try to play something it doesnt work)...so I think the card have energy? I dont know 🙁 I try to clean the card and the ISA slot from the 2 motherboards but nothing....usually if I connect a broken isa card in the 286 slot I get a strange beep sound but this time nothing.

The drivers Im using: https://www.philscomputerlab.com/audician-32-plus.html

Thanks! Hope you can help me with this problem, I´m from Perú and here it's very difficult to find a Isa card

Reply 1 of 7, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This sounds like there may be something actually wrong with the card. You can try my SETYMF util (see the post signature) and tell me what happens with it.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 7, by AlexZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I faced the same problem today with an ymf715b-s I just got. I tried to re-insert the card multiple times to no avail. Both setupsa and unisound were unable to detect it. Setupsa reported the same error you saw. I went on to test my other sound cards with unisound and returned back to the ymf715 at the end. I loosened metal bracket on card and moved it a little bit to allow the card to be inserted deeper into ISA slot. This time I got one "sb reset error" but also successful configuration at the same time (without "opl3 sax board not present") which suggested it's just a contact problem. I re-inserted the card again and everything was configured correctly by setupsa. I also tested unisound and it worked fine too. I re-inserted the card again just to verify the problem is gone and it worked fine. I tested multiple games with it to be sure.

With ymf715 I tend to get IRQ conflict with built-in USB controller so I need to reserve IRQ5 for ISA in BIOS setup. Run HWINFO and check if IRQ5, DMA1 are free.

I thought this ymf715 is a dead card but it got resurected in the end. I faced similar issues with another ymf719 I got. But once they start working they work reliably.

Pentium III 900E, ECS P6BXT-A+, 384MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 128MB, Voodoo 2 12MB, 80GB HDD, Yamaha SM718 ISA, 19" AOC 9GlrA
Athlon 64 3400+, MSI K8T Neo V, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT 512MB, 250GB HDD, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 3 of 7, by mezgho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
AlexZ wrote on 2021-10-01, 23:35:

I faced the same problem today with an ymf715b-s I just got. I tried to re-insert the card multiple times to no avail. Both setupsa and unisound were unable to detect it. Setupsa reported the same error you saw. I went on to test my other sound cards with unisound and returned back to the ymf715 at the end. I loosened metal bracket on card and moved it a little bit to allow the card to be inserted deeper into ISA slot. This time I got one "sb reset error" but also successful configuration at the same time (without "opl3 sax board not present") which suggested it's just a contact problem. I re-inserted the card again and everything was configured correctly by setupsa. I also tested unisound and it worked fine too. I re-inserted the card again just to verify the problem is gone and it worked fine. I tested multiple games with it to be sure.

With ymf715 I tend to get IRQ conflict with built-in USB controller so I need to reserve IRQ5 for ISA in BIOS setup. Run HWINFO and check if IRQ5, DMA1 are free.

I thought this ymf715 is a dead card but it got resurected in the end. I faced similar issues with another ymf719 I got. But once they start working they work reliably.

Hi! Thanks for the help I try everything but nothing. Finally I install ms dos 7.1 and a creative (sb emu) pci card but this message appears and don´t let me start any program or file. mmm so Now I have a different problem jajajaj

Attachments

Reply 4 of 7, by mezgho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tiido wrote on 2021-10-01, 21:38:

This sounds like there may be something actually wrong with the card. You can try my SETYMF util (see the post signature) and tell me what happens with it.

yeah maybe it´s something broken or no clue 🙁

Reply 5 of 7, by Stainlesscat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mezgho wrote on 2021-10-02, 23:33:

Hi! Thanks for the help I try everything but nothing. Finally I install ms dos 7.1 and a creative (sb emu) pci card but this message appears and don´t let me start any program or file. mmm so Now I have a different problem jajajaj

Hey, maybe try using Tiido's advice before switching to a different issue altogether with that pci sound card. At least try to solve the issue which is the whole thread post is all about "which your thread is about your yamaha ISA sound card"

Reply 6 of 7, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is vague and unhelpful because I don't remember the details, but I've had this too. Not even any luck with Tiido's software. But one day it came good. Was it my system config? Different mobo? PEBKAC? I forget. But it ended up serving me flawlessly in a 386 system for a while. Don't give up on it.

(Thank you for attending my motivational speech.)

Reply 7 of 7, by mezgho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Stainlesscat wrote on 2021-10-04, 22:31:
mezgho wrote on 2021-10-02, 23:33:

Hey, maybe try using Tiido's advice before switching to a different issue altogether with that pci sound card. At least try to solve the issue which is the whole thread post is all about "which your thread is about your yamaha ISA sound card"

I´m trying since yesterday 😉 I don´t answer yet because i´m tryin to understand what to do because i´m level 0 in old pcs...and my english doesn´t help. (actually I can´t use any pci soundcard in my 486 because of compatibilty and my only chance its this yamaha isa soundcard...so I can´t give up yet)