VOGONS

First post, by Neodeus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I am using a Sound Blaster PNP AWE32 in Windows 3.11. I initially installed it set to IRQ 5. I changed the SB config to IRQ 7, however, Windows setup was not updated. I tried reinstalling the driver. I tried using CTCU. I checked in SYSTEM.INI, which is referenced in the Windows error on startup, and could not find anything in there other than mentioned .drv files. When I go to drivers setup in Windown and hit "Setup" it just gives me a message box about how this is a Sound Blaster PNP and was created by Creative. Anyone have any ideas where to change this setting?

Thanks!!

Reply 1 of 1, by Datadrainer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't think configuration parameters are stored anywhere in Windows 3.x. What do you mean by changing IRQ 5 to IRQ 7? If it is modifying I5 by I7 in the BLASTER environment variable, it will not work.
Anyway, for what I know (I may be wrong), configuring any sound card that have a configuration tool for Windows only changes content in AUTEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS, not Windows files (WIN.INI or SYSTEM.INI). Maybe some card exists that works only in Windows 3.1 with specific configuration stored by the drivers without DOS environment variables. But what is common is sound card drivers to look for environment variables.
You need the Creative Configuration Manager (CTCM.EXE) to load in CONFIG.SYS, as the init/config of the card is done by this tool. And to change an IRQ you need to modify CTPNP.CFG in the sound card driver folder (Irq0=5 to irq0=7).
Once done, CTCM should initialize the card correctly in DOS and Windows should be able to access it too.

Knowing things is great. Understanding things is better. Creating things is even better.