VOGONS

First post, by f34rthereaper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Bought a small lot of isa cards and this was among them, interesting thing about it that the crystal cs4239 chip is in a socket. Cant say ive ever seen a sound card with a socketed chip before. Was this a thing on sound cards, and why would you need a socket?

IMG_20211020_111640_474.jpg
Filename
IMG_20211020_111640_474.jpg
File size
1.63 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMG_20211020_111831_217.jpg
Filename
IMG_20211020_111831_217.jpg
File size
968.91 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Sorry for the potato image quality, my phone camera is terrible.

Reply 1 of 11, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That almost for sure is a pre-production / development board.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 11, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Socketed chips were common on early sound cards, see eg. Sound Blaster 1.x, with a bunch of socketed chips: OPL2, DAC for OPL2, DSP, 2 x CMS
But I've never seen sockets on those late-ISA single-chip cards.
So yes, I'm also inclined to believe it's development, not retail.

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 3 of 11, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's definitely the official development card for the Crystal sound chipsets. Very cool to see it !

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 6 of 11, by the3dfxdude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sockets were used in cards in the early days for expansion and servicing. They got dropped over time due to chip integration and cost cutting. And a QFP socket is not something I've seen in a consumer product. They are expensive, take up space, and fragile. I use a tool when handling QFP in a socket so not to damage the pins, so really a bad thing for an end user, honestly.

Reply 7 of 11, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well i have socketed 386SX, finding a "Not Bend" 486SLC is pain in the Ass i once tried to bend all Pins so i could put it in but.. yeah i just put back the 386SX.

Last edited by matze79 on 2021-10-20, 20:31. Edited 1 time in total.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 8 of 11, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yep - as other have wrote above this is a Crystal reference board , this one: http://ebook.pldworld.com/_semiconductors/Cir … ubs/4235rd6.pdf

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 11 of 11, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AppleSauce wrote on 2021-10-20, 23:16:

Wasn't the GF1 chip socketed on the original gravis ultrasound?

It was.
Even in the late 90s there were cards like Creamware TripleDAT/CutMaster with socketed chips - but this was high-end digital audio workstation stuff...

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.