VOGONS

First post, by Vrrr64

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone, I’m just getting into playing old DOS / Windows games from the Win98 era and would like Mt32/sc sound etc.

I’ve seen some great setups online - I want to configure a windows 10 tablet to run all the synth emulation and then pipe the midi music output from the headphone out of the tablet back to the T42 line in/mic in to mix with the SFX on the T42.

The question I have is how do I get the midi music out of the T42? I’ve bought the Roland um-one midi USB interface to connect to the tablet. To get midi out of the T42 I think I have a few options:

1: buy the expensive IBM dock ii with pci slot and populate with a PCI sound card with joystick DB15 port. I can then connect to the um-one using a db15 to midi cable with a midi coupler. This solution will cost the most and won’t be portable so it’s not ideal.

2: get a pcmcia joystick game port card? These are not available new and I’m not sure whether midi music will play out of the db15 port since it’s not a music pcmcia card. Windows would need to magically pipe the t42 music out through the pcmcia db-15 port?

3: get a Rockport USB to gameport adapter. Again I’m not sure this would work since there is no audio chip on the game port adaptor but I do see the word MIDI on the eBay listings for the rock port device so maybe windows 98 will automatically pipe onboard T42 music through the rock port device?

4: get another Um-one USB interface for the T42 and connect to the um-one from the tablet using a midi coupler. Not sure this would work since it’s win98 host and no drivers (unless it can use the built in win 98 drivers) but again I don’t know whether win 98 will pipe out the inbuilt T42 midi music through the um-one?

5: get a midi parallel port device and connect to the parallel port on the T42? Something like a S2p from serdashop? Or a opl3lpt? Cost is a little expensive however but these have opl chips on the device I believe and are win98 compatible. Not sure if the product is appropriate since the opl3lpt has a 3.5mm audio out and does not output a midi signal?

Are there any other options available? The T42 is listed as having a Analog Devices AD1981A AC'97 SoundMAX Codec (Full-duplex) which is
AC97 2.2 compatible.

I assume I’ll need to use SoftMPU which I believe makes a physical opl redundant? Using SoftMPu would be ideal if it can be utilised somehow using an interface from the T42 to the tablet running synth emu software.

Thanks in advance for any help or comments!

Reply 1 of 3, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

MIDI over RS-232 serial port with a nullmodem cable from the T42 to a RS-232/USB interface connected to you tablet. In DOS you can use SoftMPU or games with modded MIDI drivers and in Windows you can use the Roland serial MIDI driver.

On your MIDI host you need an utility called "Hairless MIDI<->Serial Bridge" to redirect the MIDI commands from the COM port to the MIDI subsystem of Windows.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 3, by Vrrr64

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the reply. I just bought a used Edirol UM-1EX for $50 usd from Japan. Apparently this is compatible with Windows 98 so I can connect it to the T42.

It seems I just use a basic midi coupler to join the two Roland USB interfaces together?

I still don’t know if this will work as I don’t understand how the midi music from the inbuilt sound card on the T42 gets redirected to the Roland USB interface? Does Windows98 automatically forward the midi signal from the ac97 sound card to the USB midi port?

I’ll probably end up reselling this back on eBay if it doesn’t work. Which I think is the most likely scenario 😭

Reply 3 of 3, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Vrrr64 wrote on 2021-10-22, 06:02:

Thanks for the reply. I just bought a used Edirol UM-1EX for $50 usd from Japan. Apparently this is compatible with Windows 98 so I can connect it to the T42.

MPU-401 emulation for DOS games running from within Windows is provided by the SBEmul System Driver when using WDM drivers for your sound device, you just have to set the Edirol UM-1EX as the default MIDI output device. VDMSound is an alternative for MPU-401 and Sound Blaster emulation which might work better in some cases.

You won't be able to use the USB to MIDI interface in pure DOS mode. A MPU-232 on the other hand will work, but you have to use SoftMPU or games with modified MIDI drivers.

It seems I just use a basic midi coupler to join the two Roland USB interfaces together?

Yeah, that will do the trick.

I still don’t know if this will work as I don’t understand how the midi music from the inbuilt sound card on the T42 gets redirected to the Roland USB interface? Does Windows98 automatically forward the midi signal from the ac97 sound card to the USB midi port?

The AC97 "sound card" doesn't provide any MIDI support by itself.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel