VOGONS

First post, by yugokoral

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone. I am new on this forum and i read a lot of things related to dos and windows 9x. I have my retro computer with SS7 motherboard with windows98se intalled. I have AWE64 value sound card and i also have boot menu for dos mode (of windows 98) - thanks to PhillsComputerLab 😁.
My AWE64 now fully works in windows 98SE, i have manually configurated adress 220, irq 5, low dma 1 and high dma 5. I also have it fully working in dos 7.1 (with all CTCM and AWEUTIL stuff...). Diagnose.exe works in all 4 modes (8-bit, 16-bit, and other two - i don't remember the names right now) in DOS and in Windows included.

The problem is, when i want to run the game "In search of dr. Riptide" in windows dos box command prompt!
It forces to play sound through PC speaker only.
The game fully works in DOS 7.1 after AWEUTIL /s.
Also the game fully works, when i restart windows in DOS mode with .pif file configured as "Use current MS-DOS configuration".

Did i miss something? Or the Windows dos box prompt is really not so compatible with some dos games?

Thank you for any help or suggestions 😀

Reply 1 of 3, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello and Welcome to VOGONS!

yugokoral wrote on 2021-10-29, 09:35:

Did i miss something? Or the Windows dos box prompt is really not so compatible with some dos games?

Nothing wrong with your configuration, some DOS programs doesn't work well within Windows and needs MS-DOS mode for proper operation.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 3 of 3, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Check and make sure the BLASTER environment variable is properly defined when you're inside windows 98. Open up a command prompt and just type SET<enter>

You should see BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 T6 in the list of variables it prints. Without this many games will not recognize the presence of a soundblaster