VOGONS

First post, by sangokushi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello,

On my MicronPC Transport laptop, there is a proprietary gameport connector. Does someone know if I can make a cable to convert to standard 15 pin gameport?

Thanks.

Attachments

• gameport.jpg
    Filename
    gameport.jpg
    File size
    107.54 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 2, by Benedikt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Judging by the number of contacts, it should be electrically compatible.

May I suggest the following procedure?

1. Grab some wires and wire the socket to a solder-less breadboard
  2. Try to find all GND contacts by measuring the resistance between each contact and the shielding.
  3. Try to find all +5V contacts by measuring the voltage between GND and each of the remaining contacts.
  4. Try to find all potentiometer inputs with a resistor and a joystick test program
  5. Try to find all button inputs with a jumper wire and a joystick test program

The resistor and jumper wire have to be connected like an analog joystick's potentiometers and buttons, respectively.

Fabricating a plug is a whole different problem.
Your safest bet would be the use of contact pins, sheet metal shielding and a case shell from a donor plug and a pre-drilled piece of plastic to hold the contact pins.
Add resin or hot glue to hold everything in place.

Reply 2 of 2, by sangokushi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Benedikt wrote on 2021-10-31, 17:09:
Judging by the number of contacts, it should be electrically compatible. […]
Show full quote

Judging by the number of contacts, it should be electrically compatible.

May I suggest the following procedure?

1. Grab some wires and wire the socket to a solder-less breadboard
  2. Try to find all GND contacts by measuring the resistance between each contact and the shielding.
  3. Try to find all +5V contacts by measuring the voltage between GND and each of the remaining contacts.
  4. Try to find all potentiometer inputs with a resistor and a joystick test program
  5. Try to find all button inputs with a jumper wire and a joystick test program

The resistor and jumper wire have to be connected like an analog joystick's potentiometers and buttons, respectively.

Fabricating a plug is a whole different problem.
Your safest bet would be the use of contact pins, sheet metal shielding and a case shell from a donor plug and a pre-drilled piece of plastic to hold the contact pins.
Add resin or hot glue to hold everything in place.

Benedikt, Thanks for writing detail steps!