VOGONS

First post, by sslneve

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello I am a total noob here, thanks in advance.

I have fried my AMI E-MU IC376 rev. b C18290 chip today. It was in E-MU sound module called Vintage Keys.

Found a thread about the history of E-MU chips here and AMI IC376, OKI 404, TSMC 405/EMU8000 are all identical.

There is a seller who got EMU8000 IC405A CT1971 in NOS condition. Can I put it in as a drop-in replacement?

Please help me and any thoughts will be welcomed. I am in urgent situation to fix that MIDI module... thanks.

Reply 1 of 5, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

EMU8000/IC405x is not compatible with it at all, pinout etc. do not match among other things.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 5, by sslneve

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tiido wrote on 2021-11-15, 15:48:

EMU8000/IC405x is not compatible with it at all, pinout etc. do not match among other things.

Thanks for the info. I forgot to count the whole pins. Should look out further.

Reply 3 of 5, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The bad news is you'll find that chip from another E-MU device, they were not sold to other companies from what I know.

Reply 4 of 5, by sslneve

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tiido wrote on 2021-11-16, 05:55:

The bad news is you'll find that chip from another E-MU device, they were not sold to other companies from what I know.

So can't I get some replacements from another soundcards i.e WaveBlaster? Really frustrated... Is there any way to source them?

Reply 5 of 5, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wave Blaster 1 doesn't use the same chip either (IC404) though the boards do appear very similar to E-mu Sound Engine which has IC376, Turtle Beach Multisound seems to contain either IC404 or IC376 so these two chips are likely compatible with one another.

I have a broken Wave Blaster 1 which needs another main chip (IC404) and it isn't something I could find anywhere else but another WB. Chinese or others don't appear to have any stocks, be it NOS or salvaged parts. Even if you are gonna hunt for TB or a WB card it'll cost many hundreds of €, quick look at ebay puts all these in same price range as some E-MU hardware that should contain the same chips so there are not gonna be any cheap solutions unless you get lucky...

What happened to your hardware ?