VOGONS

First post, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm asking this for a friend because obviously I'd never ask such a noob question - some sound cards have an oscillator, some have 2 of them, and some have none at all.

Take YMF71X based ISA soundcards for example - the implementations generally look the same but sometimes they don't have an oscillator. I assume the oscillator is used for timing so does that mean that cards without one is more likely to be speed sensitive? Or is it a non-issue and I - I mean my friend - can consider buying an oscillator-less card going forward?

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 1 of 4, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As far as YMF71x cards go, when there is no oscillator onboard there's a PLL that takes the possibly inaccurate 14MHz clock from ISA and generates 24 and 33MHz the chipset requires to operate. Two separate oscillators is certainly best for this chipset and a dedicated oscillator on chips that use one clock.

Some chipsets like OPTi and C-Media ISA ones are designed to work off 14.31818MHz clock, with intent that they can use the one from ISA for lowest possible cost implementations.

There could be a minuscule pitch difference if the clock is slightly off or no sound at all if there is something wrong with the ISA signal altogether.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 4, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Out of interest: what happens if you mess around with ISA bus speeds with one of these cards without their own oscillator? I know the bus itself is specced at 8-8.33MHz, with the relevant high-speed clock supposedly being 14.31818MHz. If the motherboard has a separate oscillator for the "high-speed" signal, it shouldn't matter, but there are motherboards where all clocks are derived from a single oscillator. Is cards doing completely wrong tones a thing in those cases?

Reply 3 of 4, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The 14.31818MHz signal shouldn't change at all on ISA slot so cards should not start misbehaving.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜