VOGONS

First post, by deepthaw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What would it take to play the OPL versions of game soundtracks outside of the games? I quickly realized just getting a .MID and using FM synthesis playback is a no-go for anything resembling accuracy.

Many of the games I'm interested in have internal music/jukebox modes or cheats, but I'm certain that many more don't. I'd like to do this on real hardware (An ISA SB16 with discrete YM262.)

Reply 1 of 2, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
deepthaw wrote on 2021-12-01, 18:45:

What would it take to play the OPL versions of game soundtracks outside of the games? I quickly realized just getting a .MID and using FM synthesis playback is a no-go for anything resembling accuracy.

Many of the games I'm interested in have internal music/jukebox modes or cheats, but I'm certain that many more don't. I'd like to do this on real hardware (An ISA SB16 with discrete YM262.)

See http://adplug.github.io
If you cannot extract or play a game's native FM music format with that, you can rip it with DOSBox to a DRO file.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 2 of 2, by enaiel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
deepthaw wrote on 2021-12-01, 18:45:

My favourite way is to play them in DOS as VGMs. I download them from VGMRips and play them using SBVGM.

#1 VIA C3 Ezra-T 1.0GHz / MSI MS-6368 / Voodoo2+ViRGE GX / SBPro2+YMF744+AWE64+SC-7
#2 Pentium III-S Tualatin 1.40GHz / QDI A10T / Voodoo3 3000+GF4 Ti4200 / Audigy+AU8830+SC-50