VOGONS

First post, by multiwirth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey there,

I have yet another question 😁
I´ve got a "new" old pc with Slot 1, PIII, AGP, PCI, ISA so basically everything you want.
It came with a Crystal pnp soundcard, unfortunately it doesn´t work at all, however i planned getting an ESS card anyways.
So here it is: A fairly cheap find on ebay, the ESS 1887F.
It isn´t auto detected by windows 98, Xp but after manually going through the steps on adding new hardware, i can select a ESS 1887 (WDM) driver that comes preloaded with windows.
It works fine in Xp, sound is correct, plays music files fine but for windows 98 it´s a whole different story.
It loads the driver just fine, plays system sounds, plays ingame sound and music BUT windows media player 7.1 is unable to play any digital CD audio OR mp3 files at all.
It returns with an error, telling me there´s no sound card installed (?)

So i was searching the web for windows 9x drivers but it seems like there are only drivers up to win 3.x which don´t successfully install onto my system.
I also downloaded drivers designed for ESS 1887 from dell but unfortunately windows 98 doesn´t seem to like the driver or my card is incompatible and says "no driver found".

Does anyone have experience with this sound card?

Btw sound blaster sound is working in windows, i guess there´s only an issue with wave playback

Thank you so much 😀

Reply 1 of 7, by Pickle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

is there the option to let the OS configure devices in your bios?
sometimes bios will display connected devices on boot does it show a multimedia device?
I had one of my ESS cards running under win95 and i think i used the driver from the vogonsdriver page.

Reply 2 of 7, by multiwirth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Pickle wrote on 2021-12-04, 22:48:

is there the option to let the OS configure devices in your bios?
sometimes bios will display connected devices on boot does it show a multimedia device?
I had one of my ESS cards running under win95 and i think i used the driver from the vogonsdriver page.

Nope, it doesn´t.
BIOS says on POST "initializing plug and play cards" but then nothing shows up.
While the broken Crystal sound card gets listed as "Crystal PNP codec".
(the crystal one seems to work, but there´s no audio output on the line out)

The ESS1887f doesn´t show up but as said, when loading the drivers manually, it works partially.
It seems like there are two versions:
A plug and play card and a non plug and play card (There are two seperate 1887 drivers listed in windows)
So i guess this behavior is normal?
So probably only plug and play cards get detected automagically?

Anyways i was able to locate a driver, sadly it still has issues playing some audio files.
Many mp3 files sound like ass and some wav files throw errors
The wdm drivers from microsoft in XP are totally fine, so theoretically it should all work just fine, but win98 definitely needs non wdm drivers.

I mean i´m not planning to use this as my main mp3 player but knowing that everything works as it should is just satisfying.

So i´m probably looking for the "last" win9x driver that was released from ess technology. for this card

Reply 3 of 7, by Pickle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

strange it doest show by the bios, so no jumpers on the card? (i would expect them if its not PNP). My earlier ESS card have the jumpers but thats around the 16XX line.
you might also try unisound in dos just to see if detects and sets up the card, that would also show what type it is.
i would also give the pins a good clean with qtips and alcohol. How clean is the mb itself? Is there another ISA slot you can try?
disable the parallel port for possible irq conflicts.
im not sure about WMP but maybe updating directx? (just a wild guess)

Reply 4 of 7, by multiwirth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well it´s no deal in detecting the card after loading a specific driver for the card.
The pcb is very small and only has the CD-Audio header and something that looks like a FDD/IDE header but probably is some kind of expansion port.
So i think there are no jumpers to set actually.
in DOS i used a community built ms-dos 7.1 that comes with universal drivers for all kinds of ESS audiodrive cards and actually works fine aswell (i´m also using those drivers for an ess 1878 in my compaq laptop)

Anyways nvm, i just reinstalled windows 98se, didn´t do anything but enable the microsoft wdm driver again and i don´t know how or why, it´s now perfectly fine.
It plays all my mp3`s aswell as sound blaster and cd audio in windows so i guess this is now solved 🤣...

Oh and indeed there was a conflict with the printer port but i assigned a new IRQ and that seemed to do the trick for the printer port even since i will never use it...

Well i´m quite happy atm 😀
Only if the Radeon 9000 pro would perform as it should in win9x

However, thank you for your help 😉

Reply 5 of 7, by multiwirth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

btw a quick overview 😀
It´s all now running fast and snappy
Now time to also reinstall windows xp for dualboot

Win98 machine.png
Filename