VOGONS

First post, by voima-tonna

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

I received an MQX-32M MPU-card, but without the adapter cable, which turns the DB9-port of the midi card into two sets of MIDI IN/OUT -jacks. As it happens, I have a similar cable from some PCI M-Audio -card. Does anyone know right away if that cable works, or could someone provide a pinout for the MQX-32M card so I could check and possibly alter the cable accordingly. Thanks!

Reply 2 of 7, by voima-tonna

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dionb wrote on 2021-12-06, 21:25:

Not right away, but I have one of these cards with the original cable. Will see if I can get you the pinout tomorrow.

Have you had time to check the pinout? I would be very grateful if you could check it out. Thanks!

Reply 3 of 7, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sorry, got a little side-tracked with house having to go into quarantine. Now recovered enough to mess around.

Let's see, here's the connector into the card, a DE9 male:

dsub9m.gif

And there are four female DIN-5 MIDI connectors:

din5df.gif

Now, in MIDI, only pins 4 and 5 are used, which is how you can run four DIN-5 connectors of a single DE9

IN 1
DE9 1 -> DIN5 4
DE9 6-> DIN5 5

OUT 1
DE9 5 -> DIN5 4
ED9 9 -> DIN5 5

IN 2
DE9 2 -> DIN5 4
ED9 7 -> DIN5 5

OUT 2
DE9 4 -> DIN5 4
ED9 8 -> DIN5 5

If you're only looking to use this for games, you can stick with just OUT1, so connecting pin 5 on DE9 M to pin 4 in a DIN5 F, and pin 9 on DE9 M to pin 5 on DIN5 F

Reply 4 of 7, by voima-tonna

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dionb wrote on 2021-12-10, 14:06:
Sorry, got a little side-tracked with house having to go into quarantine. Now recovered enough to mess around. […]
Show full quote

Sorry, got a little side-tracked with house having to go into quarantine. Now recovered enough to mess around.

Let's see, here's the connector into the card, a DE9 male:

dsub9m.gif

And there are four female DIN-5 MIDI connectors:

din5df.gif

Now, in MIDI, only pins 4 and 5 are used, which is how you can run four DIN-5 connectors of a single DE9

IN 1
DE9 1 -> DIN5 4
DE9 6-> DIN5 5

OUT 1
DE9 5 -> DIN5 4
ED9 9 -> DIN5 5

IN 2
DE9 2 -> DIN5 4
ED9 7 -> DIN5 5

OUT 2
DE9 4 -> DIN5 4
ED9 8 -> DIN5 5

If you're only looking to use this for games, you can stick with just OUT1, so connecting pin 5 on DE9 M to pin 4 in a DIN5 F, and pin 9 on DE9 M to pin 5 on DIN5 F

Wonderful, thank you so much! Now I can finally start using this card, most excellent!

Reply 6 of 7, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
voima-tonna wrote on 2021-12-11, 10:15:

I just checked, and the M-Audio -cable is not wired correctly, but I think I'm just going to modify it to meet my needs. Thanks again for the info!

Yes, it will be different. If it's the one from the Audophile 2496, it has a single MIDI in/out pair and two coaxial SPDIF connectors. I actually have one of those too, although getting it would be a challenge as it's in use in a system jammed behind a desk with audio stuff...

Reply 7 of 7, by voima-tonna

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dionb wrote on 2021-12-13, 01:25:
voima-tonna wrote on 2021-12-11, 10:15:

I just checked, and the M-Audio -cable is not wired correctly, but I think I'm just going to modify it to meet my needs. Thanks again for the info!

Yes, it will be different. If it's the one from the Audophile 2496, it has a single MIDI in/out pair and two coaxial SPDIF connectors. I actually have one of those too, although getting it would be a challenge as it's in use in a system jammed behind a desk with audio stuff...

Yes, I think mine is the same cable for the same card. I don't feel too bad for destroying the cable for it's original usage, as the card doesn't have so much use anymore. I guess I could make a completely new cable, but it would be quite a lot more work/time consuming.