VOGONS

First post, by mrzmaster

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey all, I recently built a 98SE machine based around an Asus TUSL2-C and intend to use it for games of the 1991-2001 era in both Windows and DOS. It's been working great for Windows games with an Audigy 2 ZS. I recently picked up an ESS Solo-1 PCI card for the DOS side of things but I'm finding it tricky to configure and I'm hoping Vogons can help me out with this. For the time being, I have removed the Audigy 2 ZS from the system to simplify things until the issues with the Solo-1 are sorted.

The Solo-1 resides in my 6th PCI slot and while it automatically was assigned IRQ 5, I was able to manually assign IRQ 5 to it in the BIOS. PnP OS in the BIOS is also turned on. I installed the 98 drivers for it from Phil's Computer Lab page. After the drivers are installed, the card has 2 components in Device Manager and looks like this:

device_mgr_solo-1.jpg
Filename
device_mgr_solo-1.jpg
File size
49.06 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

This is a bit different than what Phil's Solo-1 looks like in his YouTube video on the Solo-1, where he specifies to use the WDM driver and (WDM) is shown:

phils_device_mgr.jpg
Filename
phils_device_mgr.jpg
File size
32.04 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I don't know if this matters or makes a difference, but I thought I would mention that here.

The Windows driver installation also added C:\essolo.com to my autoexec.bat and DEVICE=C:\essolo.sys to my config.sys files. I also manually added these lines to autoexec.bat (per Phil's page):

SET BLASTER=A220 D1 I5 T4
C:\SOLO1\ESSVOL.EXE /v:10 /l:0 /w:10 /m:0 /c:10 /s:10 /a:0 /p:0

When I reboot into DOS mode, I can see that the Solo-1 is being initialized OK on IRQ 5. But the SET BLASTER and ESSVOL.EXE lines from autoexec.bat are being rem'd for some reason. I tried some DOS games but my experience hasn't been great so far - both Doom and Heretic have music but no sfx and KQ VI has music but is glitchy and crashes.

After doing some additional digging on past Vogons threads about the Solo-1 + i815EP / ICH2 boards + DOS games, it seems like Kamerat's PCISET utility method is popular, as well as henk717's ESSINIT method which I believe is based on Kamerat's. I'm not having much success with either of these methods, because it seems like the batch files for Kamerat's and henk717's methods, respectively, have to be run without essolo.sys and essolo.com being loaded previously. The problem is that every time I reboot to Windows, something (the Windows driver, I'm assuming?) keeps re-adding those lines to my autoexec.bat and config.sys files so they are always loaded upon restart to DOS mode. Perhaps whatever keeps re-adding those lines is also rem'ing the SET BLASTER and ESSVOL.EXE lines from autoexec.bat.

Anyway, I'm hoping to get this thing sorted out for some true DOS gaming and would be appreciative of any advice that you wise Vogons can offer. Thanks!

Reply 3 of 7, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

WDM-Drivers disable Dos-FM. I never use WDM-Drivers for my ESS-Solo1.
I recommend the 1147er driver. Though you will likely run into problems if you have a fast CPU and a later Intel Chipset like 815 and later.
The later intel Chipset does not rout the signals correct for many games. Other Chipsets are far better for this on later machines. Intel wanted to push AC97 and later codes, so they did not implement the audio-routing in the chipset for later PCI-Cards for Dosgaming. If you stick to windows you will have no issues.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 4 of 7, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes setblaster will always be switched of or deleted. Game that require the "setblaster" entry could be "fixed" when starting the game via batch-file that can be namend autoexec.bat and the first entry is the setblaster followed by the game-executable. I have done this for "rampage" otherwise the sound will never be detected.

You also found the problematic soundengines. Doom1/2 Heretic/Hexen/Duke3D/ShadowWarrior/Rott. All these games do not work. FM is not the problem, but SFX will always cause irq-conflict. Only the very first version of Doom1 will work without a glitch. (before 1.666)

Now it's you choice:
- VXD-Driver e.g. 1149 => working FM and a lot of games except the problematic ones and the ones where the pc is too fast (Pinball Dreams 1/2, Pinball Fantasier, etc.)
- WDM-Driver => no FM, but the games with the problemtic engines will (sometimes) work. You should switch FM to MPU401 and let the Win98x software midi-sound do the job (because there is no FM from the ESS with WDM)

As I said, I always use VXD Drivers that provide "Dos-Emulation" because I play lot's of games that only have FM (older ones) and I like FM-Cracktros.

Reply 5 of 7, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For the "problematic dos-soundengines" you should check for source-ports that don't rely on the Dos-Soundengines. (eg. WinHeretic, DXHexen, Doom95, GLHexen) Some of them also can use 3D-acc. in OpenGL.

Reply 7 of 7, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try them. I use 1149.

Attachments

• Filename
    410-3038.zip
    File size
    599.6 KiB