VOGONS

First post, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been looking for a way to get clean audio out of my Pentium 3 onto my main speakers/headphones that are connected to my gaming PC. The solution I came up with is to use an optical out board from Gigabyte connected to the Audigy and a Startech USB audio device to get the optical sound into my gaming pc. It works VERY nicely, audio is clean, no more noise or feedback like I was experiencing with analog audio from the P3.

Devices used:
Soundblaster Audigy SB0090
Gigabyte GC-SPDIF
Startech 7.1 USB External Sound Card (part #ICUSBAUDIO7D)
6 ft. optical cable

Anyway here's some pics of the hardware and a pic I found online showing the pins to use on the Audigy with this header.

Attachments

• audext.jpg
    Filename
    audext.jpg
    File size
    55.71 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • Audigy.jpg
    Filename
    Audigy.jpg
    File size
    174.96 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • gigabyte optical.jpg
    Filename
    gigabyte optical.jpg
    File size
    33.05 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • startech usb.jpg
    Filename
    startech usb.jpg
    File size
    100.12 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by pete8475 on 2021-12-21, 06:23. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 5, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice work!

Funny story (I guess), I didn't introduce optical into my home audio at all until retro nudged me there. When I added a Roland SC-D70 to my setup, I saw its optical output, plus the unused input on my bookshelf speakers, and thought why not. Then I thought the TV deserved this love too - but the speakers only have one optical input. Guess what does have a spare input though? The SC-D70. So now I watch movies through a Sound Canvas.

Reply 2 of 5, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Pierre32 wrote on 2021-12-21, 06:17:

Nice work!

Funny story (I guess), I didn't introduce optical into my home audio at all until retro nudged me there. When I added a Roland SC-D70 to my setup, I saw its optical output, plus the unused input on my bookshelf speakers, and thought why not. Then I thought the TV deserved this love too - but the speakers only have one optical input. Guess what does have a spare input though? The SC-D70. So now I watch movies through a Sound Canvas.

That's good stuff! I have used optical with various DVD/blu-ray players and my Logitech Z-680 speakers over the years but switched everything on my TV to HDMI years and years ago. Right now this setup is the only optical connection in use in my place. Now I want to get another header to use in my XP/Vista machine with it's Audigy 2, but then I'll also need another optical input on this pc...

Reply 3 of 5, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've now upgraded to a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS in this machine and the optical pinout is slightly different, for this card I referred to this article:

https://mattgadient.com/optical-spdif-out-on- … aster-audigy-2/

With my GIgabyte brand optical header I put the red wire on +5V, black on ground and brown on spdif0 out.

Attachments

• ad_ext.jpg
    Filename
    ad_ext.jpg
    File size
    153.58 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • audigy 2.jpg
    Filename
    audigy 2.jpg
    File size
    267.66 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 4 of 5, by aaron158

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

for the xp machine u might want to look into an x-fi extreme music.

then u can use one of these

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002897561 … .11f34c4dykh1U8

and u get both a optical and Coaxial input and output. and u just plug direct into the digital output on the back of the card unfortunately don't work on Audigy cards other then the later value ones. plus by going x-fi u get full eax 5 support vs only eax 4 with Audigy 2 cards although not a huge list of eax 5 games its nice to know u can do all versions of eax.

Reply 5 of 5, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
aaron158 wrote on 2022-01-26, 01:46:
for the xp machine u might want to look into an x-fi extreme music. […]
Show full quote

for the xp machine u might want to look into an x-fi extreme music.

then u can use one of these

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002897561 … .11f34c4dykh1U8

and u get both a optical and Coaxial input and output. and u just plug direct into the digital output on the back of the card unfortunately don't work on Audigy cards other then the later value ones. plus by going x-fi u get full eax 5 support vs only eax 4 with Audigy 2 cards although not a huge list of eax 5 games its nice to know u can do all versions of eax.

Good to know that exists!

I ended up getting an SB0770 model X-fi which is apparently some kind of OEM release. It has both optical in and out right on it so might route the audio out of my 98 machine through the XP machine to the startech thing.

Attachments

• sb0770.jpg
    Filename
    sb0770.jpg
    File size
    194.53 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain