VOGONS

First post, by Sev80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ive tried everything I can think of, CTCM is set up correctly, I can use SoftMPU and run my sc-55, but if i try to play any games with FM, the card is silent. Even if i disable softmpu, unplug the sc-55, set the mixer, etc.

If I go into diagnose.exe and run a test though, it plays music just fine... Any ideas?

There doesnt seem any jumpers to be set on the card, as it is a vibra 16 based SB16 PNP value....

Help!

Reply 1 of 13, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

1) Are you running AWEUTIL /S?
2) Make sure nothing is muted in MIXERSET
2) How are you configuring games to use FM? Adlib? Sound Blaster?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 3 of 13, by Sev80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dr_st wrote on 2021-12-26, 10:20:

1) Are you running AWEUTIL /S?
2) Make sure nothing is muted in MIXERSET
2) How are you configuring games to use FM? Adlib? Sound Blaster?

1. ) No, I'm usuing ctcm after using ctcu to configure IRQ/DMA/etc. When I run AWEUTIL it says "initialization failed' but I havent tried it with the /s switch

2) This I have done, everything is set properly

3.) Sound blaster or Adlib depending on the game.

My autoexec just calls ctcm for initialization and uses the set blaster string. Let me dig up which set blaster string im using.

Reply 4 of 13, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sorry, brainfart on my behalf. Dunno why I thought you were on an AWE card. You don't need AWEUTIL.

It is a mistake to think that CTCM in AUTOEXEC uses the BLASTER thing for initialization. In fact it sets the BLASTER string after initializing based on BIOS settings. However, for FM music it shouldn't matter so much, since the Adlib port will be in 388 anyway...

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 6 of 13, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sev80 wrote on 2021-12-27, 17:19:

any idea what might be wrong then?

Are you aware that mixer settings set by MIXERSET are not stored across power-cycles and possibly reset by pushing the reset button? You have to include MIXERSET /P /Q in autoexec.bat to properly initialize the mixer leves. Otherwise, mixer settings should apply only after running MIXERSET.

Reply 7 of 13, by Sev80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mkarcher wrote on 2021-12-27, 18:01:
Sev80 wrote on 2021-12-27, 17:19:

any idea what might be wrong then?

Are you aware that mixer settings set by MIXERSET are not stored across power-cycles and possibly reset by pushing the reset button? You have to include MIXERSET /P /Q in autoexec.bat to properly initialize the mixer leves. Otherwise, mixer settings should apply only after running MIXERSET.

Yes that's right, and I do have this in my autoexec.

Reply 8 of 13, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you tried changing the IRQ? Some wise ppl say you should have your bios set to non pnp mode too. I had one of these installed 6 moths ago and it was kind of temperamental.