VOGONS

First post, by doshea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Motherboard: MSI PM8M-V H/MS-7104 ver 3.0 (chipset: VIA P4M800 + VT8237R Plus)
Sound card: Turtle Beach Montego II with Dell part number, exactly as pictured in https://flaterco.com/kb/audio/PCI/#M2A3D
Drivers: I tried both w9x2041eng_drv.zip and Win9x2048.zip (the latter first); they both include the same AU30DOS.COM anyway

I did some testing in DOS prompts inside Windows 98 SE, in 98 SE's DOS mode, and with MS-DOS 5 (but not so much of the latter).
In a Windows 98 SE DOS prompt, DOOM 1.9 sounds fine, but in DOS I get music starting to play and then it gets distorted, and then I get a lot of screeching and crackling noises, making it unplayable.
I tried some other games and they work fine in both DOS prompts within 98 SE and in plain DOS mode: Wolfenstein 3-D, Prince of Persia, Microprose Grand Prix 2.

So for some reason it's only DOOM in DOS that is the problem.

By moving the card around between PCI slots, I can get it assigned to IRQ 5, 10 or 11, so I put it in the IRQ 5 slot. Nothing else is assigned IRQ 5, but the Sound Blaster emulation uses IRQ 7 instead and Windows won't let me change it to 5 (I could set it to 10 or 11 but that doesn't seem useful). Nothing else is using IRQ 5 or 7.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what I might be missing here?

Thanks in advance!

Reply 1 of 2, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just a generic thing which sometimes helps such issues, in windows, mute the mic and line in, then try it in DOS mode again.

Could also be "bug for bug" compatibility with SB16s DMA crackle problem.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 2, by doshea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-01-21, 02:04:

Just a generic thing which sometimes helps such issues, in windows, mute the mic and line in, then try it in DOS mode again.

Thanks, they were already muted though. I also turned their volume down t0 zero just in case, but it didn't help.

This isn't so much a case of there being noise along with the digital effects, but instead the digital effects are just noise. If I wait a while eventually the clicking noises go away, then if I hit escape to open up the menu, I get some clicking or other distorted noises that build in volume for a while and eventually fade away after about 26 seconds. There's nothing which sounds like the normal digital sound effects.