VOGONS

First post, by Shcookius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all. I have encountered a bamboozling situation with a Labway Xwave 6000 with a YMF 754R.

My aim is to get it working in pure DOS, and so far I have been successful except for the sound.

What happens in a nutshell:

Setupds initializes successfully with an interrupt of 5 or 7 in settings. I am using a homemade SBLINK with Dupont wires, however, DDMA and SBLINK both work equally (?). I have double, triple and quadra checked the connections at least and I am sure they are right. 16BIT native test hard freezes the entire computer, 8bit and FM work just fine.

Doom makes loud crackles at launch and the sound breaks (stops working), however FM plays normally. Doom used to crash with an error similar to Descent.
Descent setup sound effect test actually works, but Descent itself crashes.

Wolfenstein 3D acts the weirdest of all, the sound effects actually work alongside the FM, you can open a door or shoot and kill a nazi for a few seconds after you start the game. The sound effects cut off before they are quite done playing though, maybe a CPU overspeed thing. Individual sounds break one at a time however. The door sounds usually break (stop working) first, then the death sounds, then the pistol. Anything that uses a unique sound works perfectly for a few seconds, then eventually bugs out and ceases entirely. The FM synthesis plays absolutely fine the entire time.

Once a game "breaks" the Soundblaster compatibility, it never recovers unless you CTRL ALT DELETE and reinitialize again.

I have changed nearly every remotely relevant BIOS setting in my GA-6VXE7+ (rev. 3.0) motherboard:

PNP OS doesnt seem to do anything
Manual or Auto resources doesn't do anything except break it completely (?)
Switching PCI slots around induces mild IRQ adjustments, but they stay around 10-11.

My autoexec consists of the BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 T4 and I edited LOADTSR.BAT with this BLASTER variable.

My board is set for 66 FSB and lowest possible CPU clock (unknown). It is a Pentium 3 933.

I dunno if the mobo or the card is broken, I am inclined to believe that the card is fine and that the mobo is crapping out the PCI bus in some underwhelming way. I am at a loss other than play with the PNP OS setting some more.

Thanks for your help.