VOGONS

First post, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I removed the battery on mine some time ago but lost the photo that was to remind me of the polarity. Would someone with a Yamaha MU50 that still has its coin cell share a photo of the PCB?

Thank you.

Reply 2 of 7, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-02-04, 14:58:

I removed the battery on mine some time ago but lost the photo that was to remind me of the polarity. Would someone with a Yamaha MU50 that still has its coin cell share a photo of the PCB?

Thank you.

Couldn't you determine the polarity by measuring resistance between a known ground point elsewhere on the board (like the DC power input jack) and both battery terminals ?

Reply 4 of 7, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-02-05, 06:37:

I've read that identifying the polarity in this way is not always reliable.

Well, I'm definitely not an authority on this and I can imagine potential situations (i.e. if there is a current limiting resistor somewhere) where measured results could be ambiguous, I can't really imagine a scenario where a reading of continuity between one of the battery terminals and a known ground point could lead to any other conclusion than one where it is unambiguously safe to consider that the aforementioned battery terminal is ground .

That being said, I may be in error and would love to be corrected if I am .

Reply 5 of 7, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The battery in these kind of devices always has one singular purpose and ground is always connecting to the negative terminal while positive goes to a diode or some battery management chip and then to a memory chip. You'll see other arrangements in analog applications where a negative voltage may be necessary but those cases usually are not going to use a soldered battery like so.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 6 of 7, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here you go:

16441696736670.jpg
Filename
16441696736670.jpg
File size
313.2 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Irritatingly illogical thing to open. Battery has inscribed side up.