VOGONS

First post, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have Dos 7.1 installed to a single IDE partition of 80GB and everything is working well except the Aureal Vortex 2 PCI Dos sound card driver, at the boot up it says card not detected I have tried installing windows 98se and the driver Win9x2048 and I got it working and I even got it working in "restart in dos mode" so I tried removing or I should say REMing the line LH C:\Windows\AU30DOS.COM and it stopped working in dos so I thought my straight install of dos 7.1 needed AU30DOS.com but it says an error of missing windows ini and other files so I cant load that AU30DOS.COM to get this card working in straight Dos 7.1. There is a post of this card needing just a driver that you run install.bat or modify your autoexec.bat and config.sys with the included ones to get it working and that its compatible with:

SB Audio PCI 128
Creative AudioPCI
Sound Blaster 16 PCI
Sound Blaster PCI 128
Sound Blaster AudioPCI
Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI
Creative Vibra 128
Any of the following chipsets: 1371, 1373, 5880

My main biggest chipset has "A Vortex 2 AU8830A2 ACPXP 9908-M1U13" printed on it and in the included text file of "Sound_Blaster_PCI_Cards_Dos_Drivers_.zip" is:

Important Notes:

1. Your sound blaster pci card can not use irq 5.
2. Your sound blaster pci card should not use the same irq as your video card.
3. You must first uninstall your current sound blaster dos drivers in windows
for the SBPCI drivers to work. Go to:
Start/Settings/Control Panel/Add Remove Programs/Your Sound Card

1. my bios is set to configure IRQ's from the bios not the OS and I have IRQ 5 and 7 set to reserved not PCI device but I don't know which IRQ the sound card is using.
2. I cant tell what IRQ's my cards are using in Dos 7.1 and my bios does not have the option to set them individually.
3. I'm not using Windows just Dos 7.1

Here is how I have my autoexec.bat and config.sys

Autoexec.bat:
SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D0 H3 P330 T6
SET SBPCI=C:\DOSDRV
C:\DOSDRV\SBLOAD
C:\DOSDRV\SBINIT.COM
LH C:\MOUSE\CTMOUSE
LH C:\DOS\MSCDEX.EXE /D:OPTICAL /L:D
SET PATH=C:\DOS;C:\MOUSE;C:\CDROM;C:\DOSDRV
SET TEMP=C:\DOS
PROMPT $P$G
SET DIRCMD=/OGN

Config.sys:
DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS /TESTMEM:OFF
DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE /FRAME=NONE
DOS=HIGH,UMB,AUTO
DEVICEHIGH=C:\CDROM\VIDECDD.SYS /D:OPTICAL
LASTDRIVE=E
FILES=40
BUFFERS=20

I have tried other DMA's/IRQ's for the Set Blaster= environment with variations of D0,D1,D3,H3,H5,H7 and IRQ 5/7 but I cant get it to work with just the blaster environment while the driver is not detecting the card. I have to set the CPU speed to 1.5GHz from 3GHz in the bios if I want to play some Dos games like Bioforge when I run it through 98se (restart in dos) or it has load freezes and stutters, I apologise for the long read but I thought putting everything was what would be asked for and I've been at it slowly for the past three days the only thing I haven't tried is Phil's driver on his web page with vortex_2_9x_2041_no_pci_detect.zip but it unzips as a 98se driver and I cant see a way to use it for just Dos.

Reply 1 of 2, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If someone has the same problem with this card you can fix it by using a modified AU30DOS.COM file and making an autoexec.bat change as the modified file needs a path to its ini file by using "set inifiledir=c:\xxxxx" change xxxxx with a folder where you put the modified files in as it comes with 9 files an example would be "SET INIFILEDIR=C:\AU30DOS" then below that load the AU30DOS with "LH C:\AU30DOS.COM" sorry a mistake here it should be, "LH C:\AU30DOS\AU30DOS.COM" and below that set the variable for the blaster settings ie: "SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H5 P330 T6" these settings worked for me and I didn't have to use any other driver or "SET SBPCI=C:\XXXXX" but I must say the QCM or type of FM this card uses does not play some sounds right in Gabriel Knight it might be the OPL emulation but the sound is great in Bioforge

See Aureal Vortex 2: no sound in DOS for download link of modified Au30DOS.COM

Reply 2 of 2, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To the moderators can you include this modified AU30DOS.zip file in the driver library with a heading like "Modified for just Dos" I didnt see it there and I think its a Windows 95 modified version even though it works with windows 98se 7.1 dos