VOGONS

First post, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm sure this is a really dumb question, but I'm not afraid to look dumb. Let's roll.

So there is this sound card: Help configuring (and dumping) wavetable ROM - Cardinal DSP16 / MPC700plus

It has the cheapest sounding wavetable in the world. See for yourself. But what it also has is a 512k socketed ROM chip.

The AdMOS QS1000 also uses a 512k ROM, but is a far better sounding wavetable: QWave : QS1000 based waveblaster module

In theory, could a dump of the QS1000 ROM be written to an EEPROM for use in the Cardinal card? Is GM compatibility enough? Or is the format of the ROM specific to the DSP on the card?

Reply 1 of 3, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Everything is absolutely specific to a particular chip and whatever firmware it uses, there is zero interoperability between any of them.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 3 of 3, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Regarding hardware wavetables, I guess nobody's hugely surprised by the answer.

But think, as an example-in-principle, about what's been achieved with mt32-pi. In that sort of vague context, the future possibilities for wavetable tweaking seem quite open. Abstraction to software and/or SoC-based version. I think that's the way to the kind of user-customisable wavetable utopia the OP dreams of.

Alternatively, there is the ~$5000* "own every device" option 😉

*1/2 of which, is the Adlib Gold 😁