VOGONS

First post, by borichka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got this card made by Diamond Multimedia. I can't find any official information for this card but seems it has similar components as the Televideo Telewave Audio 32. The layout is a bit different too.
Any info about this one is welcome!

FCC ID: LN5ADM-CMB9405
Model: 929-0128 rev. 1.6

Attachments

Reply 1 of 4, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
borichka wrote on 2022-02-24, 17:08:
I got this card made by Diamond Multimedia. I can't find any official information for this card but seems it has similar compone […]
Show full quote

I got this card made by Diamond Multimedia. I can't find any official information for this card but seems it has similar components as the Televideo Telewave Audio 32. The layout is a bit different too.

I would hazard a guess that it was probably part of a multimedia kit (with a CD-ROM drive and a software bundle) like this one https://web.archive.org/web/19961102103301/ht … s/mmk-7000.html and got parted out when the PC it was installed in either got an upgrade or was decommissioned . I doubt it it was ever sold as a standalone retail product .

Reply 2 of 4, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No info on this specific one, but OPTi 929 cards tend to be pretty trouble-free. I'd just fire up Unisound and feed it default SB settings (A220 I5 D1 T4 P330) and see what happens. Most likely the QS501 wavetable is connected to the single MPU-401 interface of the card, so won't need any special init; if you tell software to send GM to 330, it should just work.

Can't recall ever having heard this one. It's a very early AdMos desing without much integration, hence the big pile of chips between the OPL3 and the IDE connector- a daughterboard (pics here with the same chipset also has seven discrete chips. Later AdMos designs were far more integrated, with just one chip and ROM. Not a huge fan of the sound, but with enough (2MB) ROM it could be half decent. Unfortunately AdMos seems to have re-labled the Macronix ROM chips, so I can't figure out how much there is. If it's 512kB you'll know soon enough 😉

Reply 3 of 4, by borichka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2022-02-24, 17:59:
borichka wrote on 2022-02-24, 17:08:
I got this card made by Diamond Multimedia. I can't find any official information for this card but seems it has similar compone […]
Show full quote

I would hazard a guess that it was probably part of a multimedia kit (with a CD-ROM drive and a software bundle) like this one https://web.archive.org/web/19961102103301/ht … s/mmk-7000.html and got parted out when the PC it was installed in either got an upgrade or was decommissioned . I doubt it it was ever sold as a standalone retail product .

Excellent information, thank you! I wouldn't even think to check the multimedia kits.
Already downloaded all the drivers for 929 version.

Reply 4 of 4, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Opti cards are generally really trouble free and have great compatibility.

Pretty sure I've never seen a 501 chip either as I would have snatched it up if I had come across one.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK