VOGONS

First post, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In recent years a lot of attention has been given to comparing the sound of the various synthesizer options for PC. A great deal of synth recordings and discussions have accrued online. Data is one thing, but another is what we do with it, how we use it, how we display it. Here is one simple idea for how this area can perhaps be efficiently explored by users.

When evaluating the options, the immediate sensory experience provided by direct comparison can be very helpful. "Live A/B switching", in other words.

A simple wish which has long floated around in my thoughts, is a basic A/B(/C/D/...)-switching player which gives the user a few MIDI files to choose from, then while the MIDI is playing, the user can switch live-in-place between (the recordings of the) different synths.

Quick 10 minute GIMP mockup, showing as an example a comparison of the different FM options :

synth_comparator.png
Filename
synth_comparator.png
File size
44.57 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

The same could be done for wavetables (e.g. by category: 512k ROMs, 1.0MB ROMs, ..), external modules, whatever.

Very simple idea but it's the kind of reference I find very useful personally. I'm not a web guy, so I won't be making this anytime soon, but if anyone else wants to take (or perhaps already has had for themselves) the idea and run with it, be my guest! 😀

I imagine the backend would be buffering a bit of each track to enable smooth switches; something like that.