VOGONS

First post, by typh0id

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I apologize if this is the wrong place for this, but I'm having an issue with the volume control/mixer on a Win98 laptop I recently installed. I got all the drivers installed and working properly and everything has been fine for awhile as I've been installing a bunch of old games. But yesterday, I installed the first three Resident Evil games and after that, I noticed that every time I restart Windows, the "Wave Balance" slider in the Volume Control is all the way at the bottom. I can move it back up and the sound works just fine as long as I am still in that same Windows session but as soon as I reboot or restart, the slider is all the way back down again. This certainly isn't the end of the world, since it's easily fixable each time, but it's still a hassle so if there is a way I can get to stop doing that I would certainly be happy.

Any thoughts?

Reply 1 of 4, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did you try uninstalling each of the Resident Evil games one-at-a-time to verify any (or all) of them caused the issue?
Did any of the games install or did you select any optional software, which might have affected the sound?

Some games, like 'Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness" install other software in addition to the game (EAX Unified in this example), which could affect sound. I don't recall if any of the original three Resident Evil games mandatorily install extra software or provide the option to install extra software other than DirectX and/or DirectX Media.

You may want to consider re-applying the current version of DirectX you are using if there are no changes to the problem before and after Resident Evil removal and reinstallation.

Reply 2 of 4, by typh0id

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't recall any of them needing anything other than DirectPlay and I think DirectShow. I had considered uninstalling them each but I wanted to see if there were any general fixes someone might know of before I went that route. If it was DirectPlay or DirectShow, I don't think I can even uninstall those.

Reply 4 of 4, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you're interested in installation on a newer machine if these don't work out for you in Windows 98, you can use this guide: https://appleofeden.de-doc.com. You'll need the Japanese versions (which I own), though, for certain files. You can get the ISOs at archive.org if you need.

You'll have a much better experience. It is what I use, and it makes the installation "portable," meaning you can drag the installation to whichever machine you wish to play on in the future without mucking up the registry.