VOGONS

First post, by PapaLaz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello there!

I’m trying to source a DB9 male to MIDI Jack (5-pin DIN) female cable for an old Music Quest 8-bit ISA card . They are like gold dust compared to the 15-pin old sound card cables!

Does anyone know any stockists that still build these, or is the only route to buy connector ends and solder pins etc?

Thanks,

Papa

Reply 1 of 8, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PapaLaz wrote on 2022-03-09, 09:19:

Does anyone know any stockists that still build these, or is the only route to buy connector ends and solder pins etc?

Don't think that anyone ever build those except the original manufacturer.
But both ends being utterly trivial industry parts, a trip to the store or some one-figure clicks and five minutes of soldering seem like an awfully easy way to make gold. 😉

You might have to search for the card's pinout, though - the other end will be readily available.

I like jumpers.

Reply 2 of 8, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Welcome PapaLaz. One of the members here, keropi, sells modern clones of these cards (I have one and it's great).

http://pcmidi.eu/pcmidi.html

Music Quest MPU clone cards, anyone interested in them?

I believe the early models came with the adapter, but now they ship with a 3.5mm jack adapter instead. There is a provided schematic for the DB9 adapter though. Which leads to the answer you're after... I think you'll have to get one made up.

Breakout-cable_pinout - all-versions.png
Filename
Breakout-cable_pinout - all-versions.png
File size
50.83 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 8, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yes it is exactly like Pierre32 shows, for the original MQ card you will ignore completely the right-most connector in the green square
remember the pinout is a solderside one - meaning you follow it with the solder side of pins towards you so it is easy to follow when you solder the cable

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 8, by PapaLaz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keropi wrote on 2022-03-09, 11:28:

yes it is exactly like Pierre32 shows, for the original MQ card you will ignore completely the right-most connector in the green square
remember the pinout is a solderside one - meaning you follow it with the solder side of pins towards you so it is easy to follow when you solder the cable

Gotcha. So looking at the diagram, for a basic MIDI out cable from MQ I need to solder pins 6,2,1 on the DB9 to 6,2,1 on the 5-pin DIN? The other pins are not needed.

Reply 5 of 8, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PapaLaz wrote on 2022-03-09, 14:09:

Gotcha. So looking at the diagram, for a basic MIDI out cable from MQ I need to solder pins 6,2,1 on the DB9 to 6,2,1 on the 5-pin DIN? The other pins are not needed.

yep!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 6 of 8, by PapaLaz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Parts ordered for a solder-fest 🎉

The MQ card (see images attached) flags as running ok in MQDIAG dos app, on IRQ2. Do you think it will be 100% compatible with Roland MPU-401 games?

Attachments

Reply 7 of 8, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yep you won't have any issues , what you have is a newer version that basically allows more IRQs to be chosen
everything you see here can be used for your card as well: http://pcmidi.eu/files.html

Reply 8 of 8, by PapaLaz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keropi wrote on 2022-03-09, 16:53:

yep you won't have any issues , what you have is a newer version that basically allows more IRQs to be chosen
everything you see here can be used for your card as well: http://pcmidi.eu/files.html

Awesome! Thank you 👍🏻