VOGONS

First post, by gn0me

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Semi serious question: Is there some kind of international cabal which hoards the DB15 gameport header cable/PCI bracket for these sound cards, and if so will someone acquiesce my humble petition to join their ranks? Why are these so ridiculously difficult to come by?

I bought a bare Audigy 2 ZS card for cheap since a friend had an unwanted front panel bay he gave me for free, thinking it would be easy to find a gameport cable to connect to the internal header for MIDI out. Alas, here I am a year later and still nothing to be had.

Does anyone know where I can find a standard DB15 header cable with PCI bracket, or has one they would sell? I'm also interested in tracking down the optional digital audio out header cable/PCI bracket for my card as well.

1990-1997 DOS/W95: micron millennium mme/p200mmx/64mb/matrox millennium II 6mb/orchid righteous 3d 4mb/sb16 & dream blaster s2

Reply 1 of 4, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was looking for the same recently. At the time, someone in the UK was selling the official ones, but the price + shipping was insane to Australia. I ended up finding a generic one in my pile of junk, which shared a bracket with a DB25 connector. I was very happy to discover it worked - so it seems like the Audigy 1's header pinout is standard which is nice. (You don't always get this, for example COM ports on motherboards 😑)

If you search ebay now for DB15 bracket you should find a couple of generic ones like mine, listed in UK and Canada. Stupid prices.

Reply 2 of 4, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are you sure you're looking for the right item?

As far as I can see, that card's header is a generic one, meaning the same "bracket" or "breakout cable" has been used since the dawn of time to connect to contoller cards or motherboards that incorporated a game port.
Don't know where you're based, but I found this, among others:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/255114425856
So, these are not rare, I'd say I have three lying around here, with or without other connectors on them, think one of them with a gold plated backplate.
Have another look!

That digital out, iirc, with the SB AWE64, that thing was really easy to build yourself with minor skills, from a RCA connector and some cable. Look around here, there's bound to be a howto about it.

I like jumpers.

Reply 3 of 4, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-03-11, 00:11:

Cool. Yeah it does depend where you're searching from. Even searching 'worldwide' from Aus I don't get this result. Then there's the variety of terminology sellers might use in the title...