VOGONS

First post, by davidrg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Currently I'm using a 133MHz Pentium for my DOS gaming needs but I'm not really satisfied with it. Its a nice machine but the integrated graphics (Matrox MGA Millenium) has issues with Keen and other DOS Games. It can go back on the shelf until I need OS/2 or NT 3.5x for something.

Luckily if there is one thing I have its lots of 386/486/early Pentium era parts. Which is now a problem - I have to make choices. In the past I just grabbed whatever Creative card I found first (usually a Vibra 16) and either a Trident ISA or a random VLB video card plus a random I/O card (VLB if possible). But this time I'd like to make more informed decisions.

While digging through the big box of cards I found a Gravis Ultrasound rev3.4 (where did that come from!?). I've never seen or used one of these before (well, I guess I saw it when I put it in the box) and figured putting it back in the box won't do. So I thought I'd combine that with a SoundBlaster 16 or ViBRA 16 as I'd heard the GUS on its own wasn't great for some games. But then I saw some posts suggesting ESS cards may be better than some Creative cards? And then I found a bunch of cards with a YMF719E chip - what even are these?

According to my database of cards, my current choices are (chipset in brackets):

• ExpertColor MED3931 (OPTi 82C931)
  • Gravis UltraSound (classic) rev. 3.4 (GF1)
  • Labway A381-F20 (Advanced Logic ALS120)
  • Various Multiwave/Sertek/Genius/Labway/Schubert/Unknown ESS AudioDrive ES1688F
  • Labwave ESS AudioDrive ES1869F
  • Sertek 8305I (ESS AudioDrive ES688F)
  • Aztech SoundGalaxy Pro16 II or Gallant SC6000 (Crystal CS4248-KL)
  • Creative SoundBlaster 16 CT2940 (Creative CT2502-SDQ)
  • Creative CT2970 (Creative CT2502-SDQ)
  • Creative CT2810 (CT2501-TDQ, YMF262M)
  • Creative {ViBRA 16 CT2810, ViBRA 16C CT2960, ViBRA 16S, ViBRA 16XV}
  • Creative SoundBlaster 2.0 CT1336
  • Labway A151830 (Yamaha YMF701-8)
  • Labway A151A00 (Yamaha YMF719E-S)

Which of these is best for mostly DOS games from the likes of Apogee/3D Realms, ID, Epic, Maxis and probably some others? Would adding something like the Dreamblaster X2GS make the GUS redundant?

For video card I'm leaning towards a VLB Cirrus Logic GD5429 or a PCI Trio64 depending on what motherboard I dig up. I've got lots of other choices but based on this those cards seem to have the best compatibility.

Reply 1 of 2, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
davidrg wrote on 2022-03-12, 00:07:

Currently I'm using a 133MHz Pentium for my DOS gaming needs but I'm not really satisfied with it. Its a nice machine but the integrated graphics (Matrox MGA Millenium) has issues with Keen and other DOS Games. It can go back on the shelf until I need OS/2 or NT 3.5x for something.

🤣, there you've stung a hornet's nest, mate. Expect a bloody avalanche of very specific instructions from the sound card high priests around here!

But my perfectly noob level insight in the matter:

• ExpertColor MED3931 (OPTi 82C931)
    That one is nice and red, IIRC. Hard to hear the color, though.
    Think it has bad OPL3 sound, but not sure.
  • Gravis UltraSound (classic) rev. 3.4 (GF1)
    Take good care of that thing in case you need a new bicycle some day. Native support by quite some games and maybe the best sound for some of them. Card of choice for DOS demos, really geek friendly.
  • Labway A381-F20 (Advanced Logic ALS120)
    Also, badly implemented OPL3 compatibility with the 100+ and 120. The 100 usually came with discrete YMF-262 (OPL3) clone and provides good SB compatibility.
  • Various Multiwave/Sertek/Genius/Labway/Schubert/Unknown ESS AudioDrive ES1688F
  • Labwave ESS AudioDrive ES1869F
  • Sertek 8305I (ESS AudioDrive ES688F)
  • Aztech SoundGalaxy Pro16 II or Gallant SC6000 (Crystal CS4248-KL)
    See Phil's computer lab about ESS chips, he's quite fond of them. Some 688s at least came with real OPL3 chip.
  • Creative SoundBlaster 16 CT2940 (Creative CT2502-SDQ)
  • Creative CT2970 (Creative CT2502-SDQ)
  • Creative CT2810 (CT2501-TDQ, YMF262M)
  • Creative {ViBRA 16 CT2810, ViBRA 16C CT2960, ViBRA 16S, ViBRA 16XV}
    SB16, there's probably a undergraduate major to be done on them somewhere.
    See lists like this or English equivalents someone will know - they all have their vices and virtues.
    Usually the easiest to set up and the most likely to be supported without a hitch.
  • Creative SoundBlaster 2.0 CT1336
    Old.
  • Labway A151830 (Yamaha YMF701-8)
    Probably true for that one as well, but this definitely is an excellent DOS chip (you'll find a review of the Audition 32 plus at Phil's) :
  • Labway A151A00 (Yamaha YMF719E-S)

Which of these is best for mostly DOS games from the likes of Apogee/3D Realms, ID, Epic, Maxis and probably some others?

Over all, probably that Yamaha, for good sound quality.
Compatibility, when in doubt, use soundblaster. But two major flaws with most models: No stereo sound with "sound blaster pro" settings, only if the game actually supports the SB16. And some major glitches if you're going to use a Midi device, known as the "hanging note bug".

Would adding something like the Dreamblaster X2GS make the GUS redundant?

Almost all (mainstream) DOS games from the 90s will support general midi and - personal taste aside - will probably be an improvement over OPL3 FM synthesis.
So, yes, couldn't hurt. The "GS" version is the one for emulating a certain line of Roland gear known as the "GS", general system, iirc. The plain X2 might do.
Moby Games is a pretty good resource on the matter:
https://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/duke-nukem-3d/techinfo

For video card I'm leaning towards a VLB Cirrus Logic GD5429 or a PCI Trio64 depending on what motherboard I dig up. I've got lots of other choices but based on this those cards seem to have the best compatibility.

Well, if I have a PCI board, I'd go with that. Less trouble. And a PCI Card. Many good cards around and I think the S3 chips worked pretty well.

I like jumpers.

Reply 2 of 2, by aitotat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If your CT2940 has real OPL3, then use it with GUS. But if you need bug free MPU for the Dreamblaster, go with ESS 1688 or 1869 or YMF719 instead. I think you should try both ESS and YMF and keep the one you like better.