VOGONS

MWave 25H5830 ISA Card in DOS?

Topic actions

First post, by ThenZero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've got the card mentioned in the subject, an MWave 25H5830 ISA card, installed in my Compaq DeskPro (486/25).

The card works in Windows 3.1, meaning I have Windows sounds. However, I can't seem to get it to work in plain old DOS. I've found some posts on it on here, and even links to some drivers (for example, Re: IBM MWave related links to a BUNCH of drivers). I tried some of the mwave drivers labeled "dos" but all that happened was it quit working under Windows and I had to reinstall the system to get it working again.

Any advice on how to get this thing working systematically without borking my Win3.1 install?

Reply 1 of 24, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try the original driver disks I uploaded to vogonsdrivers:
http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=1 … &menustate=38,0

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 24, by ThenZero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Alright I discovered the jumper config tool and was able to set the address there to the same as mine (the actual jumpers on my boards don’t physically look like the ones in the graphic but they did have some of the same settings). Reinstalled the drivers with the new settings and got the same error 🙁

Reply 8 of 24, by ThenZero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK have two systems out and tried the card in both. In one of them (Compaq DeskPro 486/25) it works in Win3.1 with WSS and Compaq Business Audio (it's looking at address 530??). I thought that would only run the onboard sound but somehow the sound is coming out of the MWave card. But, as stated earlier, no sound in DOS, with the standard "SET BLASTER=A220..." line in the autoexec.bat. (Should that 220 be 530?)

On the other computer (Gateway 2000 4DX-33, Windows For Workgroups 3.11) it's not working at all under any configuration that I've tried. Installed all the MWave drivers but I just keep getting the IO Bus Address error, even with it set to the same as the jumpers on the card (CE30).

From some Googling around, it seems this card was originally made for an IBM Aptiva that was running on Win95/98, so it's possible that no drivers were ever released for Win3.1 that support it. However, as stated above, the Compaq Business Audio drivers somehow enable the card to work on Win3.1.

Any further ideas on this?

Reply 11 of 24, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There used to be a site that had info on setting these cards up.

For DOS, you will certainly have to have a TSR loaded if I remember correctly.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 12 of 24, by ThenZero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In digging through the config files of the system where the card works, I notice that in SYSTEM.INI, the line "sound.drv=sndsys.drv" is commented out, and there's another line "sound.drv=mmsound.drv" so maybe it's not even using the Compaq Business Audio settings (IO 530) and instead has the real address of the card somewhere. Is mmsound.drv from one of these mwave packages or is that a MS file? I googled but didn't find a good answer.

Reply 16 of 24, by ThenZero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Another person with one of these computers told me that the riser on his had slots that have become non functional so the next thing I’m going to try is swapping my network card into this slot to make sure it’s good, and/or swapping the sound card to another slot.

Reply 18 of 24, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ThenZero wrote on 2022-03-21, 01:27:

Anybody ever come across a copy of a file called “mwave_midimed.zip”? It’s stated to be mwave dolphin drivers for win3.1 but I can’t find an actual copy of it…

I have it.
"This diskette contains the latest MIDI samples for MWAVE sound."

Filename
MWAVE_midimed.zip
File size
2.15 MiB
Downloads
43 downloads
File license
Public domain

Looking through the other files I have. Looks like I have the Windows 3.1 disks.

File descriptions:
mww224-1.exe - DOS & Windows 3.1x Version 2.24
mww224-2.exe
mww224-3.exe
mww224-x.txt - Associated read me file

mw95225a.exe - OS/2 and Windows 95 Version 2.25
mw95225b.exe
mw95225c.exe
mw95225x.txt - Associated read me file

mwavent1.exe - Windows nt 4.0 Version 2.00
mwavent2.exe
mwaventx.txt - Associated read me file