VOGONS

First post, by Latinum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I snatched an SC-8820 for general midi playback for my dos games. I have a Sound Blaster Live (SBL), model CT4760. Are there any troubleshooting tips on how to get your sound card to control a general midi device ?

I have a game controller-to-midi cable connecting the SBL to the SC-8820. The cable was made in China, and the cables are not labeled In and Out, but I have tried both without success.

Also, I have the SC-8820 RC output going back into the SBL input via a audio cable, but I am not too sure the IN is enabled on the SBL, as the DOS mixer is very basic, and only has a few volume controls. I am very surprised on how primitive the DOS mixer is for a SBL product.

Also, I tried using the SoftMP401 software with out much success.

Should I try another PCI sound card that has native MP-401 support ? I only have PCI slots, and so ISA cards are not supported with my motherboard. I do have an Aureal Vortex 1 card, 8820B2., would that possibly be better for general midi support.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated !

Reply 1 of 4, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Latinum wrote on 2022-03-15, 03:52:
I snatched an SC-8820 for general midi playback for my dos games. I have a Sound Blaster Live (SBL), model CT4760. Are there an […]
Show full quote

I snatched an SC-8820 for general midi playback for my dos games. I have a Sound Blaster Live (SBL), model CT4760. Are there any troubleshooting tips on how to get your sound card to control a general midi device ?

I have a game controller-to-midi cable connecting the SBL to the SC-8820. The cable was made in China, and the cables are not labeled In and Out, but I have tried both without success.

Also, I have the SC-8820 RC output going back into the SBL input via a audio cable, but I am not too sure the IN is enabled on the SBL, as the DOS mixer is very basic, and only has a few volume controls. I am very surprised on how primitive the DOS mixer is for a SBL product.

Should I try another PCI sound card that has native MP-401 support ? I only have PCI slots, and so ISA cards are not supported with my motherboard. I do have an Aureal Vortex 1 card, 8820B2., would that possibly be better for general midi support.

Re: Do or don't: PCI SB Live as dedicated MPU-401 interface next to ISA AWE32 in MS-DOS 6.22?

The SB Live! pure DOS driver does emulate an MPU-401 interface, but it is used for its own softsynth. You cannot drive midi hardware with this DOS emulation driver. That functionality is not included.
The Aureal Vortex 2 and YMF-724 are PCI chipsets that do allow for driving midi hardware from within pure DOS.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 3 of 4, by Latinum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Falcosoft wrote on 2022-03-15, 09:30:
I snatched an SC-8820 for general midi playback for my dos games. I have a Sound Blaster Live (SBL), model CT4760. Are there an […]
Show full quote

Re: Do or don't: PCI SB Live as dedicated MPU-401 interface next to ISA AWE32 in MS-DOS 6.22?

The SB Live! pure DOS driver does emulate an MPU-401 interface, but it is used for its own softsynth. You cannot drive midi hardware with this DOS emulation driver. That functionality is not included.
The Aureal Vortex 2 and YMF-724 are PCI chipsets that do allow for driving midi hardware from within pure DOS.

Well...I got a YMF-744L II , the Aopen Cobra. Now I cant get my DOS games to make sound effects, but the midi from the YMF sounds great.

Geez...is there a PCI card that 100% plays like a sound blaster *and* will play an external MIDI device. Please help with suggestions.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2022-03-20, 21:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 4, by Latinum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Latinum wrote on 2022-03-20, 00:43:
Falcosoft wrote on 2022-03-15, 09:30:
Show full quote

Well...I got a YMF-744L II , the Aopen Cobra. Now I cant get my DOS games to make sound effects, but the midi from the YMF sounds great.

Geez...is there a PCI card that 100% plays like a sound blaster *and* will play an external MIDI device. Please help with suggestions.

Success ! I ditched the YMF-744 and installed an Aureal Vortex (AU8820B2 chip) and both sound and the Roland MIDI ROCKS ! Wooot !