VOGONS

First post, by stacker139

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Experts,
My challenge is to make a wide selection of Home computing music chips (from early generations to newer) work together in the smallest possible system.

In a non-Gaming configuration, is it possible to make these two chips work together, (GUS pnp and Gravis ACE sound cards)? And, if you encounter difficulties, what are they?
Configuration: Pentium III, 440BX chipset, Windows 98SE.

I would have liked to do these tests myself, but I don't have these two sound cards yet. Would one of the members be kind enough to lend me (or give away) one of these two cards?

Project: SB-XXXL, Extensive Sound Cards System

Reply 1 of 3, by digistorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In principle two GUSes should be able to sit next to each other because the base address can be set differently, but the GUSpnp uses so many resources that you might need to disable a lot of them. There was experimental dual GUS support in some module players, Open Cubic Player for example (it was called 3D mode IIRC and one GUS would feed your front speakers and one the back speakers) but I don't know if there are many - if any - modules that support it.

Reply 2 of 3, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Resources are gonna be the killer, there's only so many IRQ and DMA channels to use...

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 3 of 3, by digistorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can disable the MPU and the IDE controller, and put the record and playback DMA on the same channel (putting it into half-duplex mode). But two GUS ACEs would be easier to pull off