VOGONS

First post, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello everyone.

Yesterday I build a slim desktop PC out of the case and power supply from an HP Vectra VL 420. The maiboard was riddled with bad caps and it was nothing remarkable (an Asus P4B-LA with SDRAM) so I swapped it for an Asus P4P800-VM witch is exactly the same size and layout. CPU socket is in the same place as well, so I could use the Vectra's cpu cooler that bolts to the case. I/O is mostly the same as well, apart from the rear I/O. I stuck a 2.8Ghz pentium 4 in it and a low profile FX5700 LE (64 bit unfortunatly, but it does get 7800 pts in 3dmark 01), an 80GB seagate SATA drive and a slim DVD-RW from my laptop parts bin.

I installed win98 and XP on it, and everything seems fine apart from sound in win98. The drivers provided by Asus are WDM only and don't work very well. In red alert 2 for example, in game sounds and music are fine, but in cutscenes the sound skips and stutters like crazy. It seems sound stutters whenever the system is under load....

Does anyone know of VxD drivers for the SoundMAX AD1980 buit into the ICH5 southbridge? i'd install a dedicated sound card like an SB LIVE! or a DS-XG but the case will only take low-profile cards, and the only low profile PCI sound card I have right now is a ALS1000 witch I heard is not great....

3gF0nCYl.jpg

DN6MfpPl.jpg

MJONpnBl.jpg

Reply 1 of 5, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

UPDATE

I couldn't find any VxD drivers for the card anywhere on the internet, but I noticed the first version of the driver off HP's website cures the stuttering. Unfortunately the AD1980 is taking quite a toll on the CPU, witch can be observed with any of the drivers. I noticed this while playing Red Alert 2 using remade (larger) custom campaign maps made by a member of CnCnet, can't remember his name. The game get very laggy sometimes while playing these large maps, inexcusably so for a 2.8Ghz pentium 4.

So after getting home this weekend (I work in the capital but live in small town) I raided my sound card stash and grabbed an ESS Solo 1 PCI (ES1938) and an Audigy SE. The ESS Solo looks something like this:

CPCI0213.jpg
Filename
CPCI0213.jpg
File size
26.83 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

The gameport is connected via a header, and while I don't have a low profile bracket for it, i simply took the bracket off and installed it into my vectra. There is a NOTICEABLE performance increase in red alert 2, and of course any form of stuttering is gone. I used some OEM drivers since the ones off vogons vintage drivers library labeled ES1938 would make my PC bluescreen.

WinXP identifies the card as an ES1969, and installed drivers automatically. For win98 I used some drivers I got off Driverguide, released in 31.07.2000, and the sound card is identified as an ESS Solo-1 PCI AudioDrive. the drivers are WDM but seem to work fine so far.

I can't get the card to work in dos. I tried drivers I found in the driver library but ESSOLO.COM is asking to configure the card a non existant windows utility.

As for having the card installed properly, I'll just have to fabricate a low profile bracket for it. I can use the original bracket to trace the correct holes on a spare empty bracket witch I'll cut and bend to properly fit the vectra.

Reply 2 of 5, by bazingaa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Socket3 wrote on 2022-04-17, 14:22:
UPDATE […]
Show full quote

UPDATE

I couldn't find any VxD drivers for the card anywhere on the internet, but I noticed the first version of the driver off HP's website cures the stuttering. Unfortunately the AD1980 is taking quite a toll on the CPU, witch can be observed with any of the drivers. I noticed this while playing Red Alert 2 using remade (larger) custom campaign maps made by a member of CnCnet, can't remember his name. The game get very laggy sometimes while playing these large maps, inexcusably so for a 2.8Ghz pentium 4.

So after getting home this weekend (I work in the capital but live in small town) I raided my sound card stash and grabbed an ESS Solo 1 PCI (ES1938) and an Audigy SE. The ESS Solo looks something like this:
CPCI0213.jpg

The gameport is connected via a header, and while I don't have a low profile bracket for it, i simply took the bracket off and installed it into my vectra. There is a NOTICEABLE performance increase in red alert 2, and of course any form of stuttering is gone. I used some OEM drivers since the ones off vogons vintage drivers library labeled ES1938 would make my PC bluescreen.

WinXP identifies the card as an ES1969, and installed drivers automatically. For win98 I used some drivers I got off Driverguide, released in 31.07.2000, and the sound card is identified as an ESS Solo-1 PCI AudioDrive. the drivers are WDM but seem to work fine so far.

I can't get the card to work in dos. I tried drivers I found in the driver library but ESSOLO.COM is asking to configure the card a non existant windows utility.

As for having the card installed properly, I'll just have to fabricate a low profile bracket for it. I can use the original bracket to trace the correct holes on a spare empty bracket witch I'll cut and bend to properly fit the vectra.

have you tried these drivers ?
https://www.philscomputerlab.com/ess-es1938s-solo-1.html

I have used win9x driver's DOS driver potion in DOS 7.1 without an issue. I have ESS-SOLO1 as onboard sound card on my FIC CE31-A motherboard

Reply 3 of 5, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bazingaa wrote on 2023-05-12, 03:50:
have you tried these drivers ? https://www.philscomputerlab.com/ess-es1938s-solo-1.html […]
Show full quote
UPDATE […]
Show full quote

UPDATE

CPCI0213.jpg

I have used win9x driver's DOS driver potion in DOS 7.1 without an issue. I have ESS-SOLO1 as onboard sound card on my FIC CE31-A motherboard

I did and they work great!

Reply 4 of 5, by bazingaa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Socket3 wrote on 2023-05-12, 09:00:
bazingaa wrote on 2023-05-12, 03:50:
have you tried these drivers ? https://www.philscomputerlab.com/ess-es1938s-solo-1.html […]
Show full quote
UPDATE […]
Show full quote

UPDATE

CPCI0213.jpg

I did and they work great!

That's great to hear ! I also have a SoundMAX AD1980 built into the SIS southbridge on ASUS P4S533-MX. I only got WDM drivers (wdm_3620.zip from ASUS site) as well. Anyway, I am using WinXP on that PC.

Reply 5 of 5, by marxveix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can say from my experience so far that SoundMax wdm drivers up to 5.12.1.4100 works ok with ad1980 for win98se and my dell dimension 8300 (without stuttering), from 5.12.1.5xxx to 7xxx drivers work, but they are not so good for Win9x (stuttering). All Win9x drivers work for my dell p4, just install setup /p i, without it acpi and vga has some irq conflicts. Also dos sound works with sbemu and dell ad1980, just audio output comes out only from front panel at the moment. Maybe directx update helps for later wdm drivers, but i talk about default dx6.1 setup at the moment.

There is vxd driver that installs correctly and shows yellow audio speaker, but i have no audio output at the moment, 4.11.01.0627a vxd driver here somewhere (not directly for this dell pc)
https://www.google.com/search?q=soundmax+4.11 … sclient=gws-wiz

I can upload 5.12.01.4100 wdm drivers as well if anybody needs them or all my dimension 8300 Win9x drivers.

31 different MiniGL/OpenGL Win9x files for all Rage 3 cards: Re: ATi RagePro OpenGL files