VOGONS

Reply 20 of 25, by phjanderson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jackal1983 wrote on 2022-04-12, 18:15:

I have the exact same card. Once I added the wavetable header and plugged a board in Win98se immediately picked it up with no issues.

After reading this thread, I also added the headers to my TTSOLO1-SL VER1.2. I have Windows 98 SE installed but I am unable to get sound from the wavetable. I switched the MIDI output to MPU-401 and enabled every playback device in the mixer. Just silence when playing a midi file.

If I restart in DOS mode and launch doom with "General MIDI" as the music device, I do get music but very soft in volume. So it does seem to work.

https://www.philscomputerlab.com/ess-es1938s-solo-1.html mentions using ESSVOL.EXE to set the volume levels in DOS, including the wavetable. But I do not have ESSVOL with the Windows 98 SE drivers. It is included with the pure DOS drivers but when executing it in combination with the DOS drivers it just says "Cannot find the AudioDrive".

How did you manage to get it working in Windows 98 SE and do you have tips for adjusting the volume levels in DOS mode?

Reply 21 of 25, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
phjanderson wrote on 2023-08-23, 09:36:

https://www.philscomputerlab.com/ess-es1938s-solo-1.html mentions using ESSVOL.EXE to set the volume levels in DOS, including the wavetable. But I do not have ESSVOL with the Windows 98 SE drivers. It is included with the pure DOS drivers but when executing it in combination with the DOS drivers it just says "Cannot find the AudioDrive".

Not every Solo-1 is compatible with ESSVOL.EXE. More details here: ESS Solo 1 different versions

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 22 of 25, by Jackal1983

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
phjanderson wrote on 2023-08-23, 09:36:
After reading this thread, I also added the headers to my TTSOLO1-SL VER1.2. I have Windows 98 SE installed but I am unable to g […]
Show full quote
Jackal1983 wrote on 2022-04-12, 18:15:

I have the exact same card. Once I added the wavetable header and plugged a board in Win98se immediately picked it up with no issues.

After reading this thread, I also added the headers to my TTSOLO1-SL VER1.2. I have Windows 98 SE installed but I am unable to get sound from the wavetable. I switched the MIDI output to MPU-401 and enabled every playback device in the mixer. Just silence when playing a midi file.

If I restart in DOS mode and launch doom with "General MIDI" as the music device, I do get music but very soft in volume. So it does seem to work.

How did you manage to get it working in Windows 98 SE and do you have tips for adjusting the volume levels in DOS mode?

Eh, that was awhile back. I just added the header, installed the drivers and it just worked. Maybe reinstall windows 98 and the drivers (make sure to use VXD drivers)?

Reply 23 of 25, by phjanderson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2023-08-23, 12:19:

Not every Solo-1 is compatible with ESSVOL.EXE. More details here: ESS Solo 1 different versions

I guess I am one of the unfortunate ones then 🙁

I bought an ALS120 ISA card now, let's see how well that one works...

Reply 24 of 25, by phjanderson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jackal1983 wrote on 2023-08-26, 02:42:

Eh, that was awhile back. I just added the header, installed the drivers and it just worked. Maybe reinstall windows 98 and the drivers (make sure to use VXD drivers)?

After using it in DOS mode and a few reboots later it magically worked. I found the fader in the mixer panel that controls the volume, line-b or ext-b or something, forgot. By default it is not shown and can be enabled through the mixer settings. The volume of that fader was already set properly however when it didn't work yet.

So, the solution was probably: Windows 98 multiple reboot magic 😉

Reply 25 of 25, by Jackal1983

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
phjanderson wrote on 2023-09-01, 11:57:
Jackal1983 wrote on 2023-08-26, 02:42:

After using it in DOS mode and a few reboots later it magically worked. I found the fader in the mixer panel that controls the volume, line-b or ext-b or something, forgot. By default it is not shown and can be enabled through the mixer settings. The volume of that fader was already set properly however when it didn't work yet.

So, the solution was probably: Windows 98 multiple reboot magic 😉

That's Windows 98 for you. If it doesn't work, reinstall, if that doesn't work, reinstall everything, if that doesn't work, mess around with it some and it might start working if the Machine Spirit is sufficiently pleased...