VOGONS

Reply 300 of 353, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Completely off topic, but after turning my 486 on last night to check something and ending up playing games for two hours, I can't believe how lucky I am to actually own one of these cards. It's everything I could ever ask from a DOS gaming card to be honest.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 302 of 353, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

well , after cleaning my storage area I found a tray of some 25ish CMI8330 chips... had no idea we still had some
so most likely a small batch of MK8330s will be made soon-ish, most likely in black to commemorate the real end of this project 😁
I will keep digging, found some other forgotten treasures already 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 303 of 353, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote on 2023-10-22, 12:41:

well , after cleaning my storage area I found a tray of some 25ish CMI8330 chips... had no idea we still had some
so most likely a small batch of MK8330s will be made soon-ish, most likely in black to commemorate the real end of this project 😁

Please check your PM!

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 304 of 353, by Efflixi86Box

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keropi wrote on 2023-10-22, 12:41:

Apparently I still can't send a PM. Can you send me one so I can get in contact with you?

Reply 306 of 353, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

here is a direct link to the old order form, if anyone uses this then the entry will be added to the queue: < link deleted, card is now a retired project >
thanks!

Last edited by keropi on 2024-02-13, 06:00. Edited 1 time in total.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 307 of 353, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Guys, this is my favorite sound card bar none, so well rounded and high quality in such a compact package. Don't miss out..

Reply 308 of 353, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

the "really final" TM version of MK8330 is available at www.pcmidi.eu
it is a very limited release, as many as the chips left... 28pcs

IFQIgvm.jpg

jG4AQju.jpg

Reply 309 of 353, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sweet!

I'd been hoping to be able to get one of these cards.

Also noticed that the PCMIDI cards are back in stock too. 😁

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 311 of 353, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mockingbird wrote on 2023-11-22, 18:28:

keropi - I am waiting to hear back from you 😀

I see you at #4 😀

Reply 312 of 353, by vutt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I made my order around 1AM 😀 today Athens time. Hopefully it ended up inside 28 treshold.

I have question about digital in routing implementation? So CMI8330 is capable mixing main PCM/FM digital signal with SPDIF_IN and outputting digital out without any digital master clock synchronization? How potential sampling rate mismatches are then handled with pure digital signals? It's not Roland M-1000 level professional device after all. What I'm missing here...

Reply 313 of 353, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It has "nearest neighbor" type resampling, everything is dirtly converted into close to 44100Hz rate (but not exact, the chip lacks a timebase to get exact 44100Hz). Some sample rates will sound better than others because of this type of conversion, there's no filtering/decimation or interpolation of any sort.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 316 of 353, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote on 2023-11-23, 20:11:

it's a budget oriented chip : close enough is good enough 😀

That's even more cheap and cheerful than I had imagined. A piece of history it is still and a work of art you have made from it.

Reply 317 of 353, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

CMI8330 was probably never intended for digital recording, PCI sound cards were already a thing by then and for a professional recording setup a budget gaming ISA card would hardly have been a good idea even by 1996..

That said, I still have recordings of myself playing the guitar in 1996/97 recorded through a Sound Blaster 16. It sounds attrocious 🤣

Reply 318 of 353, by brunobox99

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow! I had that CMI8330 chip in a soundcard when I was a kid! It was my first and beloved soundcard. So much nostalgia!

That chip was very compatible with all the games that I played at those mavelous years.

Congratulations Keropi, your card is a great tribute to this humble but very respectable CMI8330 chip.

Bruno

Reply 319 of 353, by Marmes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is MK8330 with PCMIDI addon, MIDI in and out, X2GS with Roland licensed banks. I use this in one of my systems. Happy with it!
This is nice for systems with limited ISA slots.

Attachments