VOGONS

Reply 320 of 353, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a near identical setup except I have a WP32McCake that handles both MT-32 and MIDI. Granted, it is no Roland GS but I kind of prefer Masterpiece.SF2 or MusingKyte.sf2 to Roland GS anyhow.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 322 of 353, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

WP32McCake looks pretty cool. I wonder if it would be possible to have it intercept a custom MIDI SysEx message to switch between MT-32 and GM mode. It would be awesome to switch between synthesizers and sound banks from the command line.

Reply 323 of 353, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kahenraz wrote on 2023-11-28, 13:12:

WP32McCake looks pretty cool. I wonder if it would be possible to have it intercept a custom MIDI SysEx message to switch between MT-32 and GM mode. It would be awesome to switch between synthesizers and sound banks from the command line.

such a DOS utility exists as part of the MT32-PI project - it can change mt32/cm32 versions and soundfont/mt32 modes...
check this out: https://github.com/gmcn42/mt32-pi-control

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 325 of 353, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Marmes wrote on 2023-11-28, 12:31:

Never tried those, where can I get it?

If you are asking about the WP32 McCake Serge makes them, so Serdashop.com or paging @dreamblaster 😁

Oh snap! you were asking for the soundfonts 🤣 I am such a moron sometimes..

Masterpiece.sf2 can be downloaded here: https://github.com/wrightflyer/SF2_SoundFonts … Masterpiece.sf2 (Being 28MB it conveniently fits into the memory of a 32MB AWE32/64 card as well)

For Musing Kyte it is a few GBs in size, so send me a PM I'll upload it to Google Drive and share a link with you marmes 😀

Reply 327 of 353, by vutt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got my card today. Working as intended based on limited tests on my SIS530 SS7 box.
Few observations:
- Officials drivers do set environment BLASTER value to T4 (SBPro). Impulse Tracker, XTC-Play, ... do detect card correctly SB16. I guess detection is done based on DSP version and env variable is ignored.
- Adlib Tracker II while detecting OPL3 capable card correctly is outputting random noise. RAD player is playing correctly. Games with FM music support are working correctly. Edit: looks like it's about timing issue. adt2play.exe command line player included with tracker works with /latency parameter.
- Fast tracker v2.12 seems to be detecting card correctly but refuses to start payback.
- Second Reality demo is in stereo, so this card sports poor SB16 emulation 😉 However I hear slight click's/breaks in music playback with 2-3 sec intervals.
I will over the weekend test it on my 486 and BX (P3) systems. Perhaps issues above is SIS530 chipset related.

btw. Are there any playback fidelity differences between SB16 and WSS implementation. If program supports both which should be preferred one? On paper both are 44khz/16bit capable. With my ears I could not hear clear differences. Tested with Cubic Player and Inertia Player.

Reply 328 of 353, by Aladim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Very late to the party (I normally miss these things) but I was able to get last one. Looking forward for getting it in a couple of weeks. Thanks a lot OP.
I got the Orpheus LT in June and this one will complement my collec. Most likely it will go in my dual DOS - OS/2 machine (currently with a Ct4500 SB64 basic). And it’s black 😀

Reply 329 of 353, by vutt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thought I share my findings here in case someone else will encounter similar issue. My card as it turned out arrived with defective 3.5mm line out pod.
I have been using my card exclusively over digital out. However over holidays I decided to hook it up to my external analog amp. I was confused why 2nd reality playback in SBPro mode was in mono...

Long story short. It looks like one of the 3.5mm channel pin was improperly pushed in during assembly as you can see from attached picture. Also I found small square piece of metal inside pod also visible on pic.
Well I decided to save some CO2 emissions (+ Keropi time) and made repair myself. I "manhandled" pin back to correct position and now it seems to working as intended. So it's all good now.

Attachments

• 3p5j.jpg
    Filename
    3p5j.jpg
    File size
    184.81 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 330 of 353, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

oh wow , I did not notice that during testing... sorry for this!
nice save though!! 😁
if anyone faces a similar issue and wants replacement jack(s) just let me know!

probably on whatever next board we make we won't use this type of jacks but in order to fit any other kind it would mean that the MIC one will have to go only be available through AC97 header

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 331 of 353, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote on 2023-12-27, 16:15:
oh wow , I did not notice that during testing... sorry for this! nice save though!! :D if anyone faces a similar issue and wants […]
Show full quote

oh wow , I did not notice that during testing... sorry for this!
nice save though!! 😁
if anyone faces a similar issue and wants replacement jack(s) just let me know!

probably on whatever next board we make we won't use this type of jacks but in order to fit any other kind it would mean that the MIC one will have to go only be available through AC97 header

The better built black/metal jacks used on cards like ESS Gold/Maestro are probably worth looking into, and would make the card look more premium than these AC97 colored ones IMO 😀

Reply 334 of 353, by joveaaron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

IC datasheet or pinout?
I have read that this card is no longer being manufactured and my motherboard has this same soundpro ic. If I'm able to design my own card to fix the noise that the mobo has, or get myself a pcb file of this card to send to print to JLCPCB and make it myself ordering the components. I haven't got myself to look on this thread because I'm running low on time to use my PC everyday. Hopefully someone can help me out!

Many thanks,
Aarón.

Reply 335 of 353, by ltning

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just want to say that this card, with PCmidi add-on and McCake WB module, is absolutely effin' brilliant.
My 486slc2 has this combo and a GUS PnP and it's just .. a dream.

Thank you!

(Had to attach some pics.. the mt32 gets a bit hot so I added the tiniest fan I've ever seen ;) )

Attachments

The Floppy Museum - on a floppy, on a 286: http://floppy.museum
286-24/4MB/ET4kW32/GUS+SBPro2
386DX-40/20MB/CL5434 ISA/GUSExtreme
486BL-100/32MB/ET4kW32p VLB/GUSPnP/AWELegacy

~ love over gold ~

Reply 337 of 353, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Has anyone else noticed that Adlib and SoundBlaster are broken with the CMI8330 on the Monkey Island Talkie Edition? When I run standard Monkey Island ("monkey a" for Adlib), it works, but with the Talkie Edition, it's a cacophony.

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 339 of 353, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Marmes wrote on 2024-01-28, 07:53:

Which pc , configuration?

Ok, fixed it... It's a Cyrix 5x86... Brought it down to 33Mhz with Setmul 1, and music played perfectly.

Now if only I can get WSS to work in KQ6... Heck, I bet KQ6 won't work with a real WSS.

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png