VOGONS

First post, by skel2raw

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys,

I just recently got a cretive goldfinch AWE32 Upgrade card and now I am wondering how I can use it. It seems there are a couple of different versions of this card. The best option it seems is the version with LINE OUT and SPDIF.
Mine actually does not have LINE OUT and comes only with the internal 8 pin header.
Now the question is where do I hook this up?
Which sound cards are out there that have a corresponding 8 pin header?
Is it possible to just solder a LINE OUT and get LINE OUT to work or is there additional stuff to solder to the card?

Any ideas?

Reply 1 of 8, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

IIRC if you have the version with the internal header then you will need a SB16 that has the goldfinch internal header on it, I dont know if its possible to just add a Line Out and actually have it work, if you can find pictures of a version with the line out then I guess it might be possible if you can source the components needed to make it work.

Reply 3 of 8, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote on 2022-04-15, 12:05:

Yep just solder a jack into the existing holes and it'll work - the hardest part is drilling a neat hole in the backplate 😁

sounds like a thing that having a 3d printer would be handy for too.

Reply 4 of 8, by Grem Five

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Heres another thread about Goldfinch from a month ago SB Awe32 Upgrade Card - Goldfinch! CT1920

Mine is paired with a CT2970 (has the goldfinch connector) in an old HP machine. I was able to pick up the cable for like $6 on ebay, if I was to pair it with another card I would just pin it into the line in connector on the sound card.

Reply 5 of 8, by noobineer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I put a goldfinch in one of my rigs and it took forever to troubleshoot. Turned out it only will work with certain sb16’s such as the CT2970, I tried a bunch of others hoping one with a real opl chip would work but no luck. It also needs -5v rail which took me forever to figure out. I did drill my pci bracket and solder in the spdif jack myself and it worked.

Reply 6 of 8, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've tried it with quite a few SB16's over the years and it worked fine - the CT2230 for example has a real OPL3 and works. Are you using the Goldfinch driver CD from VogonDrivers?

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 7 of 8, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

On my Sonic ecstasy rig i use any Orpheus which is only SB Pro compatible. Works fine. I recommend UNISOUND to enable the Goldfinch.

Only drawback is that games with DMX Sound system refuse to play AWE if they don't detect a SB16. DOOM and Raptor: Call of the Shadows are the prime examples. FastDOOM IIRC removed the SB16 check so AWE plays fine with any card. Raptor however, needs to be patched.

Reply 8 of 8, by skel2raw

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
badmojo wrote on 2022-04-22, 00:42:

I've tried it with quite a few SB16's over the years and it worked fine - the CT2230 for example has a real OPL3 and works. Are you using the Goldfinch driver CD from VogonDrivers?

Mine came with an original driver cd.