VOGONS

First post, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This weekend I've been testing with my Orpheus and tried to get the X2GS to work nicely with my Sound Canvas 55 (i.e. mute one to allow the other to play). In Windows this was really easy (just mute FM music) but some games demand DOS and here I ran into some issues. I haven't tested this thoroughly since I spent a LOT of time trying to figure out whether it was caused by software, the OS, the PC, etc. so I had to do a lot of swapping and stuff but here is what I discovered:

- Tested on two very different PCs, one running DOS 6.22, the other Windows 98 (DOS 7.10)
- One has a SB16 CT2230, the other the Orpheus I
- One uses original Creative drivers and SB16SET.EXE to set volume (also tested with UNISOUND), the other uses ORPHINIT (again also tested with UNISOUND)
- I'm unable to disable the Wavetable header on either card using UNISOUND (but UNISOUND does mention not all cards allow for this)
- The second solution would be to set the volume to ZERO for the Wavetable music which works in games such as Doom, Duke 3D, etc. BUT it does not work in quite a few Lucas Arts games I tested (TIE Fighter, Sam n Max, Dark Forces, etc.)

It seems iMUSE on both systems, with any software, blatantly ignores the volume so I get both the Wavetable and the Sound Canvas 55 playing on top of eachother.

I'm surprised to find absolutely zero results on this on Google or VOGONS so I wonder if there's a fix for this or what might be the reason for this? Does iMUSE directly talk to the hardware bypassing the software?

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB
IBM Aptiva 486SX33 - 8MB - 2GB CF - SB16
IBM PC350 P233MMX - 64MB - 32GB SSD - AWE64 - Voodoo2
PIII600 - 320MB - 480GB SSD - SB Live! - GF4 Ti 4200
i5-2500k - 3GB - SB Audigy 2 - HD 4870

Reply 1 of 2, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

some games are just like that - they write their own values when the game runs
perhaps MIDITO can be the answer to your problem red_avatar, there is a mixer locking option: MIDIto r12 (Midi and FM redirection, Mixer locking, Sound Blaster fixes)

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 2, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote on 2022-04-25, 11:45:

some games are just like that - they write their own values when the game runs
perhaps MIDITO can be the answer to your problem red_avatar, there is a mixer locking option: MIDIto r12 (Midi and FM redirection, Mixer locking, Sound Blaster fixes)

I'll give that a try, thanks. Oddly enough, iMuse lets you pick the port but absolutely ignores it. If I pick 332 or 334 it will STILL play Wavetable music so I'm not sure it will fix this issue.

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB
IBM Aptiva 486SX33 - 8MB - 2GB CF - SB16
IBM PC350 P233MMX - 64MB - 32GB SSD - AWE64 - Voodoo2
PIII600 - 320MB - 480GB SSD - SB Live! - GF4 Ti 4200
i5-2500k - 3GB - SB Audigy 2 - HD 4870