VOGONS

First post, by AnnoyingPentium

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good evening (or at least it's evening where I am),

I've been trying to find a W98 driver for a wee while for my Chaintech 6ATA2 motherboard. Does anyone know exactly where one could be procured? Or at least what the name of the chip is so I can work from there.

Thanks in advance folks.

Ryan B 😀

Ryan B. Sent from my nuclear reactor.

Too many computers. But my ICL DRS M75 is rather cool.

Reply 1 of 5, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You're the one with the board, you are probably better placed to say what chip it is exactly than we are. It's an AC'97 codec in any event, but I've not found any pics good enough for a positive ID. It's the small square chip to the rear of the AGP slot. My guess (based on logo) is it's one of the SigmaTel STAC chips.

If you ID the chip and find a driver, be sure thay your Via 4-in-1 chipset drivers are installed first, as the guts of the sound solution are in the Via 686A southbridge and won't work properly if it's not recognized by Win98SE (but tbh, if you install *any* other drivers before the 4-in-1 you are likely to have a very bad time)

Reply 2 of 5, by AnnoyingPentium

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dionb wrote on 2022-05-02, 22:20:

You're the one with the board, you are probably better placed to say what chip it is exactly than we are. It's an AC'97 codec in any event, but I've not found any pics good enough for a positive ID. It's the small square chip to the rear of the AGP slot. My guess (based on logo) is it's one of the SigmaTel STAC chips.

If you ID the chip and find a driver, be sure thay your Via 4-in-1 chipset drivers are installed first, as the guts of the sound solution are in the Via 686A southbridge and won't work properly if it's not recognized by Win98SE (but tbh, if you install *any* other drivers before the 4-in-1 you are likely to have a very bad time)

Thank you. I'll open the system up and come back with a name or a photo of something. Otherwise I might see if I kept my SB Audigy. It's not for DOS anyway, just for W98 Multimedia stuff and I've had a decent experience before with it on another system. 😀

Reply 3 of 5, by AnnoyingPentium

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Update: It's a Sigmatel STAC 9700. It can be seen in the photograph below. Hope this helps someone. 😀

20220504_202633.jpg

Reply 4 of 5, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you have a Audigy, that would be vastly superior, both in terms of SNR, lower CPU load and positional audio.

STAC 9700 drivers are tricky, SigmaTel never offered direct downloads, so you need drivers from a product they were included on. Most links are to malware sites. But I believe the Gigabyte GA-8TX-C board had the same chip, and Gigabyte still has (slooow) downloads for ancient stuff. Try here:
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-8TX-C … pport-dl-driver

Reply 5 of 5, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Chaintech sound driver download section has live links via the Wayback Machine: https://web.archive.org/web/20010405143951/ht … iver/driver.htm

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey