VOGONS

First post, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, all

I'm trying to set up the Terratec in a mATX system with Tualatin and a single ISA slot. The motherboard is Chaintech 6VIA5T, using VIA VT82C694T (Apollo Pro 133T).

The goal is to switch between EWS's own Dream chip, a Yamaha DB50XG connected to the front panel's Waveblaster header and a Roland SC-55 connected to MIDI-2. So both devices are on MIDI-2 effectively, to DOS games both Yamaha and Roland are at 330h while Dream is at 300h, and I can switch between Roland and Yamaha by changing mixer settings.

For tests I'm using MIDI files under Windows media player and also DOS games run in Windows DOS box. There are two problems currently:

1) Sometimes the DB50XG starts to give out "garbled" sound everywhere: it's like it's playing piano instead of drums. Sometimes I can fix it with resetting the EPROM, but after a while it goes back to sounding buggy. I assume it has something to do with switching inputs in the mixer, but I can't reproduce it.

2) So far I've only been able to achieve full functionality in Descent using Windows Sound System mode. I've been able to switch between Dream, Roland and Yamaha (well, that is, when Yamaha works at all). However in Doom I get absolutely no sound even if Roland does show notes being played on its display. I assume it's the SB Pro mute bug, but I can't find any info on how to fix it under Win98, not real DOS. I'm constantly checking Control Panel and ProMIX, but there are no muted channels as far as I can see.

I'm using drivers version 3.1, apps version D and ProMix from studio4all.

The setup in EEPROM is this:

WSS I/O 534
WSS IRQ 5
WSS Play DMA 1
WSS Record DMA 0

FM I/o 388
SB Pro I/O 220
Gameport I/O 201

MIDI 1 300h, IRQ7
MIDI 2 330h, IRQ9

Dig control I/O — PNP

The onboard audio of the motherboard is disabled, so are COM1, COM2 and LPT. Other than the soundcard there is only a Voodoo 5 videocard and a 3COM NIC installed. The revision of EWS64 is 1.2 with stock 4MB memory module installed.

What am I missing?

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 2 of 6, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jura Tastatura wrote on 2022-05-19, 15:17:

Maybe something is messing with IRQ9, video adapter or ACPI? I'm just guessing...

Awesome catch, I haven't messed with ATX boards in a while and completely forgot about that! Reserved all the IRQs and DMAs for ISA, no issues now. Thank you so much — I've been literally messing with cables and connectors for hours yesterday, thinking it was a hardware issue 😀

Still can't get most games to give sound. Dark Forces setup hangs when testing sound, Blood only gives test for MIDI, but not SB, etc.

I wonder if I actually need to properly set up DOS drivers and add CS32MIX there in autoexec.bat. Simply putting cs32mix there did nothing.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 3 of 6, by Jura Tastatura

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have one in my collection but never used it, had my doubts about compatibility so always ended up with something like gus, ess or awe32/64 for my retro rigs.
Apparently they're a bit trickier to setup:
http://www.studio4all.de/htmle/main33.html

Reply 4 of 6, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, I'm actually using the guide from that page (also tried adding SET BLASTER to autoexec), but it changed nothing.

The weird thing that I discovered by accident is that I get sound in Doom if I start the game while a MIDI file is playing in Windows Media Player.

Also reinstalled drivers and all apps from scratch. Originally I installed the apps from Terratec disc and then upgraded with the D version distribution, but this time around I went straight to the latest versions. Somehow it seems like the mixer is a bit more predictable now, no difference otherwise.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 5 of 6, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh, seems like I figured it out now. Added these lines as per Vogonswiki to autoexec.bat:

C:\EWS64\EWSINIT -F -V -B SOUNDSET.94B -M MIXER.TTM
C:\EWS64\FMON
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 T4
C:\EWS64\CS32MIX /M=15,15 /W=13,13 /L=0,0 /X=1 /F=7,7 /C=11,11 /I=L

Also changed mixer settings to use route A and saved it (no real idea how it works for now, but it works). Now I get sound in DOS games, finally.

The only problem for now is that Windows mixer doesn't affect settings to switch between CD input (Yamaha on MIDI-2) or linear input (Roland on MIDI-1). If I want to change that, I have to use CS32MIX. So I made two bat files and put it on my desktop:

Switch to Roland (mute CD and set linear input to 15, switch input to linear):

C:\EWS64\CS32MIX /M=15,15 /W=13,13 /L=15,15 /X=1 /F=7,7 /C=0,0 /I=L

Switch to Yamaha (mute linear, set CD to 11, switch input to CD):

C:\EWS64\CS32MIX /M=15,15 /W=13,13 /L=0,0 /X=1 /F=7,7 /C=11,11 /I=L

If I want the DOS game to use Dream chip, I set the MIDI device to 300h.

Works finally. Dark Forces still hangs (both imuse.exe and the game itself), but Abuse, Blackthorne, Doom, Descent, Descent 2, Raptor, Blood all work.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 6 of 6, by slartibardfast0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently installed a 'Guillemot Maxi Sound 64' ISA card in a P3 / ASUS p2b-s 440BX which has a bios that doesn't allow disabling ACPI.

with Windows 98 SE installed in ordinary ACPI mode, the card was very odd, trying to assign the wavetable to IRQ 11 or just not working properly.
I found in the end, not reserving anything at all in the bios DMA & IRQ and forcing the install of Windows 98 SE in non-ACPI with

setup.exe /p i

allow the card to function perfectly!